Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The Lost World of Film Noir (Revised and Expanded Edition)
By Eddie Muller
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover (Revised) $30.00 $38.00 CAD
- ebook $14.99 $19.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around July 20, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Dark City expands with new chapters and a fresh collection of restored photos that illustrate the mythic landscape of the imagination. It's a place where the men and women who created film noir often find themselves dangling from the same sinister heights as the silver-screen avatars to whom they gave life. Eddie Muller, host of Turner Classic Movies' Noir Alley, takes readers on a spellbinding trip through treacherous terrain: Hollywood in the post-World War II years, where art, politics, scandal, style — and brilliant craftsmanship — produced a new approach to moviemaking, and a new type of cultural mythology.
- “With its extensive bibliography, index, lavish photos, and dozens of films ranging from the obscure to the well-known, this title will please newcomers to noir and hard-core fans who can’t get enough of Muller’s Noir Alley intros and outros.”—Library Journal
- "The book is general enough to appeal to people just beginning to learn about what the French dubbed 'dark movies” but detailed enough to teach even the most ardent film fans things they didn’t know."—The Virginian-Pilot
- “Fans will recognize his signature style here, heavy on the self-conscious, tough-guy slang. But the illustrations, from rare posters to vintage stills, are thrilling. And his portrait of noir itself can’t be topped.”—NY Daily News
- “I can safely place my hand on my heart and say there is no writer/expert on the subject of film noir that I’d rather read than Eddie Muller…And here – once again — is his magnum opus: the best book written on the subject of film noir and, what’s more, re-appearing in a very handsome, lavishly illustrated revised edition… anyone with the slightest interest in the film noir idiom needs this volume on their the bookshelves – it is as simple as that.”—Barry Forshaw, Crime Time
- "This revised and expanded edition is a thoroughly entertaining journey of the genre, with more twists than Mulholland Drive. Leave it to Muller — author, film historian, and TCM host — to be your five-star guide. His writing style is fedora-fine, perfectly nuanced and factual to the utmost degree."—EDGE Media
- “The author is not only an incisive historian, but also a highly effective entertainer...With its smartly written text and abundance of fabulous photos and poster art, you'll want to keep the handsome "Dark City" on your coffee table, so you can continually thumb through its informative content.”—Pop Culture Classics
- On Sale
- Jul 20, 2021
- Page Count
- 272 pages
- Running Press