Banned & Challenged Books
Across the US, books are being banned from classrooms and libraries, denying young people access to stories that broaden their understanding of the world.
Hachette Book Group stands with our authors and illustrators, and with educators and librarians as we fight to protect the freedom to read, one of the most important foundations of a free society.
Think freely. Speak freely. Read freely.
Learn more about Hachette Book Group’s banned and challenged books below, and find important resources for readers and authors about book bans.
Join Us in The Fight Against Censorship
As a publisher of books for readers of all kinds, of all ages, we support the rights of students and young people to have access to a broad range of literature and ideas. We believe that the ability to read about a variety of experiences and perspectives promotes empathy, encourages intellectual curiosity, and is one of the most important foundations of a free society.
We are deeply concerned about intensified efforts to remove certain books from libraries and classroom reading lists. These removals deny young people access to stories and conversations that interest them and broaden their understanding of the world. It is especially concerning that the targeted and banned books often contain narratives that deal with race, gender, sexual orientation, and other topics related to personal or cultural identity.
Many Hachette books are among those that have been challenged. We are proud of these banned and challenged books, and wholeheartedly support their authors and illustrators. We partner closely with Authors Guild, the National Coalition Against Censorship, PEN America, and We Need Diverse Books and support their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression and protect writers against censorship.
- NCAC – Resources for authors of banned and challenged books
- NCAC – Report Censorship
- NCAC – Book Challenge Resource Center
- PEN America – Book Bans resource
- PEN America – So, Your Book Has Been Challenged: A Tip Sheet for Authors
- PEN America – Banned in the USA report
- The Authors Guild – Free Speech
- The Authors Guild – Book Banning
- ALA – Banned & Challenged Books
- ALA’s Freedom to Read Statement
- NCTE – Standing Committee Against Censorship
- Unite Against Book Bans – Action Toolkit