Hachette Book Group, Inc.
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
Please read carefully and contact us with any questions.
TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information in order to use our Site to communicate with readers regarding authors and books we believe may interest them, and for our legitimate business needs. When you use the Site we may collect and process the following types of information about you:
Information about You and Your Use of Our Site
Personal Information. Any information, which may include personal information (sometimes called “PII”), that you directly and voluntarily provide to us, such as: name, home address, business address; email address; phone and cell phone numbers, birthdate; zip code; text message address or other wireless device address; instant messaging address; social media handle; and/or other information that may identify you as an individual or allow online or offline contact with you as an individual.
How We Collect Information from You:
- From forms on our Site or submitted to our Site (e.g. to receive newsletters or request other information), where we ask you for such information as your name, email address; zip code; age.
- If you participate in a promotion, e.g., a sweepstakes, which involves our mailing you a prize, we will collect Information, including your telephone number and street address.
- Participating in a Hachette poll or survey.
- If you report a problem, send us feedback or request technical support or other customer service for our Site.
- If you pre-order a book in connection with qualifying for one of our giveaway campaigns.
- Certain information is collected automatically about your use and interaction with our Site which may include: pages or content you open or interact with, pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Information about Your Device
We may collect technical information about your device, including an identifier, device type, IP address, phone, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
Analytics & Data Collection
The Hachette Site uses third party technologies to help us gather aggregate information about the user experience. The Site uses analytics tools (Google Analytics). Because of this, the web browsers used by our visitors automatically send certain information to Google. This includes, for example, the web address of the page that you’re visiting and your IP address. Google may also set cookies on your browser or read cookies that are already there. We do not share any of this information with any other third parties.
The information we collect allows us to better tailor our web experience to the interests of our visitors. This information may be used in aggregate form by Hachette to assess general user interest in our Site and the content on it. No personally identifying information is included in this type of reporting.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- To enable us to provide and maintain our Site, including Site administration and internal operations such as troubleshooting and testing;
- To improve our Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device of choice;
- To determine your eligibility to win and/or to send you a prize or award in connection with a promotion, e.g. sweepstakes;
- To provide targeted advertising for our titles across unaffiliated web properties;
- To notify you about changes to our Site;
- To keep our Site safe and secure; and
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share information about you, which may include personally identifiable information, with selected third parties in the following ways or in the following circumstances:
- We may share with business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to the extent necessary to assist us in providing and maintaining our Site, and the improvement and optimization of our Site;
- We may share with service providers and business partners who supplement information we collect with additional information about our Site visitors and help us better connect with our audiences.
- We may share in connection with promotions which we conduct (i.e., we are the Sponsor) or in which we invite another entity to co-sponsor with us or supply prizes. In those situations, the information we obtain from you in connection with the promotion may be shared with our partner when we specifically indicate to users that we may do so and obtain your consent by participating in the promotion. In those situations, our partner will have the right to email you directly or to ask us to share our information about you with the other party for their own purposes consistent with their own privacy policies, which we urge you read before giving you consent, as we are not responsible for how partners may use the information.
- Links to Third Party Web Sites and Apps
- Our Site may include social media features, including share links that enable you to share, post or link our content through your accounts with third party social media services. If you choose to share content from this Site with social media features on other sites, you should confirm that the sharing of such content doesn’t conflict with the terms and conditions of the other site.
- Hachette may collect, use and share information about pages, about authors or books you view on our Site and how long you view pages of specific content on our Site with third party partners. We may also collect information from third parties regarding similar such content that you view on third party sites.
- In addition, we may provide to third parties aggregated demographic information, but not information that describes or identifies any individual user.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take reasonable precautions to protect your information both online and offline and allow only employees and third party contractors who need the information to perform a specific job to access your information.
Some information you provide to us or our partners may be stored by third parties, on our behalf or in addition to our own storage. For example we use third parties to operate some of our promotions. We take reasonable steps to confirm that those third party partners who collect information on our behalf protect and secure your information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of your data; any transmission is at your risk.
Hachette reserves the right to monitor all network traffic to our Site to identify and/or block unauthorized attempts or intrusions, including the uploading or changing of our Site to or to otherwise change information or cause damage to Site in any manner. Anyone using our Site expressly consents to such monitoring.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your Information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
Hachette’s Transfer of your Information as part of a sale of the Company. If Hachette sells substantially all of its assets to or is acquired by a third party, information held by Hachette about you which we have collected from our Site, including your name and email address, may be one of the transferred assets.
You may choose to opt-out of certain communications or uses of information collected by Hachette or third parties in our Hachette newsletters and email communications, by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any of those communications or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please allow us time to delete information about you from such communications and remember that we can only delete such information if you provide us with all email addresses you have used with us; otherwise, we will delete the email address for the communication for which you are opting out.)
If you believe that any of your information is incorrect or needs updating, please let us know at.com. Hachette will use reasonable efforts to correct your information and our records upon verification of the requested change.
Certain sites, e.g., http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/kids/ [Little Brown Books for Young Readers] and e.g., http://jimmypatterson.org/, are web sites directed to children that we own or operate. Our Site and most of the other sites we own or operate are not intended for or directed to children under 13 years of age nor does Hachette knowingly collect or store personal information on those sites from children under 13. If we discover that a user is under 13 years of age, he or she is not permitted to submit any personal information to the Site unless the Site is specifically designated as directed to children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without the parent or guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable amount of time.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY. Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of personal information with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your personal information to us, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at:
Hachette Book Group, Inc.
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
Attention: Legal Department
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of those third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified in this section, if not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
HOW LONG WE KEEP INFORMATION
We keep information that we have obtained from a cookie for 540 days. If you return to our Site, new cookies may be added, which expire after another 540 days. In addition, by entering promotions from this Site, entrants will automatically subscribed to Hachette newsletters and emails concerning authors and books, exclusive offers and other promotions sponsored by Hachette. Entrants can unsubscribe to newsletters and emails at any time by following the directions on the newsletters and emails to “unsubscribe”.
Policy originally posted September 6, 2017 has been updated as of September 28, 2017.
©2017 Hachette Book Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.