About Hachette Book Group
The mission of Hachette Book Group is to make it easy for everyone to discover new worlds of ideas, learning, entertainment, and opportunity.
- Understanding Consumers
- We place the needs, wants and passions of the consumer at the heart of what we do, ahead of our own personal interests.
- We have a relentless focus on how to sell the most books, games, gifts, and puzzles.
- We balance experience with data, plug into the zeitgeist and relentlessly explore emerging ideas to stay ahead of future trends.
- We take a global view in exploring new markets and a constant view of changing technologies to discover new platforms for our content.
- Changing the Story
- We value different and diverse perspectives, voices, and ideas to support creativity and break new ground.
- We’re unafraid to respectfully challenge established thinking.
- We build relationships by being collaborative, empathetic, and authentic.
- We’re committed to actively making our publishing content as diverse as the readers we want to reach.
- Owner Mentality
- We each understand how our business makes a profit and how our roles contribute to delivering our commercial success.
- We take accountability and get things done, dealing with issues as they arise and addressing anything that isn’t working.
- We’re all about wanting more for the business, using our initiative and asking, “What more can I do?”’”
- We encourage others to explore new ideas, understand our commercial priorities, and to take ownership of what they do.
- Growth Mindset
- We have a hunger to learn, to take on unfamiliar ideas and activities, and to explore new experiences.
- We see effort as the path to achievement and keep going even when dealing with setbacks or challenging situations.
- We learn from our successes and failures, seek feedback, and take action to amplify our strengths and address weaknesses.
- We look for the positive and are always on the lookout for future business growth.
Hachette Book Group (HBG) is a leading U.S. general-interest book publisher made up of dozens of esteemed imprints within the publishing groups Basic Books Group, Grand Central Publishing, Hachette Audio, Hachette Books, Hachette Nashville, Little, Brown and Company, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, Orbit, Running Press Group, and Workman Publishing. We also provide custom distribution, fulfillment, and sales services to other publishing companies. Our books and authors have received the Pulitzer Prize, National Book Award, Caldecott Medal, Newbery Medal, Booker Prize, Nobel Peace Prize and other major honors. We are committed to diversity in our company and our publishing programs, and to fostering a culture of inclusion for all our employees and authors. We are proud to be part of Hachette Livre, the world’s third-largest trade and educational publisher.
HBG is headquartered in New York City with offices in Boston, MA; Lebanon, IN; Nashville, TN; North Adams, MA; Boulder, CO; Philadelphia, PA; Berkeley, CA; Portland, OR; and Chapel Hill, NC. HBG also owns Hachette Book Group Canada, Inc., a marketing and publicity company based in Toronto.
Our commitment to diversity
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our staff and our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas that shape our society. We are committed to working together and with all our partners to foster diversity and a culture of inclusion, so that HBG can provide a truly welcoming and fulfilling environment for all employees and publish books that appeal to all readers.
In one year, HBG publishes approximately:
- 2,100+ adult books
- 500 books for young readers
- 750 audiobook titles
In 2022, the company had 200 books on the New York Times bestseller list, 28 of which reached #1.