Our Commitment to Charitable Giving and Community
HBG supports organizations dedicated to promoting literacy and a love of books and reading. We are wholeheartedly devoted to fostering a robust publishing industry, to attending to the serious issue of illiteracy in this country, to protecting freedom of expression, and to supporting efforts for equity and social justice.
We focus our philanthropic efforts primarily on the following areas:
- Trade organizations, which keep the book business healthy and reading central to our lives.
- Literacy organizations, which help teach an invaluable skill.
- Author assistance groups, giving authors in need the support to practice their craft.
- First Amendment rights groups, which help protect free speech and expression here and around the world.
- Equality and social justice organizations, to help create lasting change in our communities and our society.
- HBG authors’ causes and those championed by HBG staff are very important to us – this can range from a local library’s fundraiser to an author’s favorite worthy organization.
- Cultural organizations that help spread the word about books and reading.
We donate more than 100,000 copies annually, from a single signed copy for a fundraiser to large quantities for a struggling school district or library system. We focus on donating books to communities in need.
All requests for financial and book donations are handled by HBG’s Communications department. If you feel that your organization or cause is in line with our goals of supporting literacy and a love of reading, please send all requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hachette Cares is a way for HBG to give back to the community by providing company sponsored volunteer activities, support for employee’s existing volunteer activities and time off from work to engage in those activities.
Hachette works with a wide array of organizations to provide volunteering opportunities. Some of those organizations are shown below: