Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
By Rob Kearney
By Eric Rosswood
Illustrated by Nidhi Chanani
Formats and Prices
Format:Hardcover $17.99 $22.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around May 10, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
A fresh, charming picture book that shows there are lots of ways to be STRONG.
Rob dreams of becoming a champion strongman. He wants to flip huge tires, lug boulders, and haul trucks — and someday be the strongest man in the world! But he feels like he can’t fit in with his bright leggings, unicorn T-shirts, and rainbow-dyed hair. Will Rob find a way to step into his true self and be a champion?
With bold illustrations and an engaging, informative text, Strong introduces readers to Rob Kearney and his journey from an athletic kid trying to find his place to the world’s first openly gay professional strongman.
- "This happy, bright book helps break LGBTQ+ stereotypes and makes for a celebratory read during Pride Month—and all year long."—Booklist
- "Real-life strongman Kearney and LGBTQ+ parenting expert Rosswood team up to create this positive, affirming picture-book memoir…. A bright, bold picture-book biography."—Kirkus Reviews
- "The illustrations are vivid and dynamic. This is an important and unique topic told in an engaging narrative style, featuring a little-known sport, a great athlete, and an even greater story of ultimate sportsmanship."—SLJ
- "Authors Kearney and Rosswood develop this picture book memoir about the world’s first openly gay strongman using emphatic text, while Chanani’s vivid hues emphasize Kearney’s bold aesthetic."—Publishers Weekly
- "I love everything about STRONG! The writing, the illustrations, and most of all, the message to be yourself. Rob is mighty, sturdy, and powerful. He is also insecure, self-conscious, and full of doubt. But when he falls in love with Joey, he finds the strength to come out and be himself. Wonderful writing, fabulous, illustrations, and meticulous research make this book, like Rob himself, a true winner."—Lesléa Newman, author of Heather Has Two Mommies and Sparkle Boy
- "Rob Kearney is a Strongman and his story will show readers what being a strong man means. It means being honest. Being yourself. And being willing to let others know who you really are. Reading this book can help kids find their own personal strength, too."—Rob Sanders, author of Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag and Stitch by Stitch: Cleve Jones and the Aids Memorial Quilt
- On Sale
- May 10, 2022
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers