Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
By Dave Eggers
Illustrated by Kelly Murphy
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $18.99 $23.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around June 8, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Lucian’s father called them faraway things, those mysterious objects orphaned upon the windswept shore, their stories long lost in the shroud of ocean fog. Lucian’s discovery on the beach this particular day, though, is no ordinary faraway thing. It’s a cutlass: strong, shiny, and powerful. As its history comes to light, Lucian faces a choice: cling to the sword he loves or accept a gift that shines farther, wider, and deeper than he could have ever dreamed.
Stunningly illustrated with evocative art by Kelly Murphy and written by award-winning and bestselling writer Dave Eggers, here is a profound and resonant tale about the reward of letting go.
- "Lyrical, descriptive language allows Lucian's story to gently unfold... [a] beautiful story about adventure and honoring a father's memory, this is a noteworthy addition to elementary school libraries."—School Library Journal
- * "An ingenious choice for a muted palette...[an] evocative picture book bildungsroman with equally atmospheric illustrations."—Kirkus Reviews
- * "Sweeping multimedia art by Murphy gives the galleon, its crew, and the ocean grandeur... Eggers tells his swashbuckling yarn with screenplay-like polish that feels just as expansive as Murphy's art."—Publishers Weekly
- "Using wide pictures rendered in muted tones set alongside sparse text, the reader is given a window into the life of Lucian....[t]his story presents a short, yet important journey of loss, growth, and empathy."—School Library Connection
- "Whether enjoyed as a group read or a private puzzle to be explored and re-explored, this picture book will inspire a host of stories and possible a shanty or two."—The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
- "The compelling story is enhanced by the stunning full-bleed illustrations in ink and watercolor, which show in atmospheric detail the rocky shore, the stormy coastline and ship, and Lucian's cozy home."—Booklist
- "Eggers and Murphy have crafted an evocative story that centers imaginative play and gently explores loss.... [a] pleasing enigmatic tale."—The Horn Book
- On Sale
- Jun 8, 2021
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers