Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The Night School
Lessons in Moonlight, Magic, and the Mysteries of Being Human
By Maia Toll
Illustrated by Lucille Clerc
Read by Tara Ochs
Formats and Prices
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
- Diary $16.95 $22.99 CAD
- ebook $12.99 $16.99 CAD
- Hardcover $24.00 $30.00 CAD
- Trade Paperback $12.95 $16.50 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around August 9, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Welcome to the Night School, Firefly. Here you'll explore the farthest reaches of the universe, and the deepest parts of yourself. You'll learn to cast off the constraints of the day, and open your eyes, your heart, and your mind to the enchanted mystery of the Night. You'll travel the world in search of inspiring sites, timeless wisdom, and essential magic. And you'll do so under the bewitching guidance of the Night Mistress, your guide in the curriculum of all that lies beneath the starry sky.
For anyone interested in spirituality, folklore, mysticism, witchcraft, healing, and self-exploration, The Night School is a highly creative journey into the magic of the night. Organized as an enchanted course of study, with semesters and subjects for exploration — ranging from Midnight Foundations (Philosophy 101) to Divining the Night (Divination 101) to Harnessing the Celestial Tides (Energetic Engineering 101) — this illuminating manual offers short nightly lessons complete with reflections, exercises, homework, and even extra credit to help readers connect with the power of the night and explore the deeper mysteries of being human. In an era when our daytime hours are increasingly uncertain and people are turning inward to reevaluate what really matters, The Night School encourages us to slow down and contemplate our dreams, relationship to the natural world, and the ancient traditions of mystical thinking — all by the light of the moon.
- Magic is everywhere. To see it and the effects it has on your life, change the way you perceive the world,” contends spiritual teacher Toll (Maia Toll’s Wild Wisdom Companion) in this fun exploration of magic. . . . The author affects the voice of a compassionate professor, charmingly addressing readers by the nickname “Firefly,” and the discrete “lessons” offer a clever way to organize the bounty of insight and exercises. . . Additionally, the celestial illustrations of psychedelic night skies by Clerc wonderfully evoke the cosmic wonder of the material. The result is a delightful program with magic to spare.—Publisher's Weekly
- Maia Toll's The Night School is a delightful invitation to sink deep into the shadowed mysteries of magic, with a design that's as beautiful as it is functional. An accessible, educational, and inspiring adventure for the modern witch or mystic at heart.—Adrienne Young, New York Times bestselling author
- Maia Toll’s The Night School will make you believe starlight is within reach— the way curiosity, wonder, and awe have been woven together with grounded research is unparalleled in the field. The way The Night School combines steady and surefooted guidance as the reader is encouraged to wander through the unknowns of enchantment is a magic trick in and of itself. Never before have I felt so deftly held in the worlds of mystery and mysticism. This is a book I will carry with me through at least one full lifetime . . . maybe more.—Steph Jagger, author of Everything Left to Remember
- This whimsical book is a delight–but it's also sneaky. Couched in an accessible and fun back-to-school format is an absolute ton of information, and Maia Toll not only goes wide, she goes deep, guiding the reader beyond the initial questions of what magic is and how to work with it, into who WE are, and how we can be more than we ever thought possible.—Nikki Van De Car, author of Practical Magic
- I love Maia Toll’s mind! This genre-breaking creation is enchanting, whip-smart, and a deeply satisfying read. Toll is a master of writing the misty in-between, using ritual and symbol to create magic for her readers. The Night School is a serious alchemy of fiction and non-fiction, and it shows us how to make our experience of darkness relevant and full of meaning. Sharpen your pencils, and get ready to learn real magic.—Sarah Selecky, author of Radiant Shimmering Light
- On Sale
- Aug 9, 2022
- Hachette Audio