Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
An Exploration of Criminals, Cannibals, Cults, and What Makes a Killer Tick
By Suruthi Bala
By Hannah Maguire
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $27.00 $34.00 CAD
- ebook $13.99 $16.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 14, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Based off Hannah Maguire and Suruthi Bala's popular podcast of the same name, RedHanded explores real-life true crime cases to help answer once and for all if a killer is born or made.
After meeting at a house party in London, where they discovered a mutual obsession for all things true crime, Suruthi Bala and Hannah Maguire drunkenly promised to one day start their own murder podcast. Six weeks later they ordered their first microphones and the rest is history. From the hosts of the hit podcast RedHanded (dubbed by Anna Paquin as her “all- time favorite true crime podcast”), Bala and Maguire have amassed a cult following of “spooky bitches.”
What is it about killers, cults, and cannibals that capture our imaginations even as they terrify and disturb us? Do we find these stories endlessly and equally compelling and frightening, because they hold up a mirror to society’s failings and to the horrors that we humans are capable of? RedHanded rejects the outdated narrative of killers as monsters and that a victim “was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Instead, it dissects the stories of killers in a way that challenges perceptions and asks the hard questions about society, gender, poverty, culture, and even our politics.
With their trademark humor, research on real-life cases, and unflinching analysis of what makes a criminal, Bala and Maguire take you through what drives the most extreme of human behavior to find out once and for all: what makes a killer tick?
- “As a true crime fanatic I can say without hesitation that Hannah and Suruthi are my all-time favorite podcasters of the genre. The ladies kindly let me have a sneak peak of their book and I’m so excited for the rest of the world to have the opportunity to read their brilliant words.”—Anna Paquin
- “Best true crime podcast I’ve heard, ever."—Dan Harmon, creator of Community and Rick and Morty
- “Bala and Maguire have a lovely rapport, excellent reporting skills, and can tell a story with just the right amount of feminist eyebrow-raising.” —Miranda Sawyer, The Guardian
- "A cult hit balancing true crime, progressive politics, and a lot of charm."—Vox
- "Laugh-out-loud yet wildly informative." —Refinery29
- “Hannah and Suruthi will inspire you to plunder the crevasse that is Reddit and remind you that even locking your doors might not be enough to save you.”—Vulture
- “A major draw . . . is the rapport between the two presenters and the palpable enjoyment Suruthi and Hannah take in each other's company. It is often very funny, despite its dark subject matter.”—Crime + Investigation
- “Informative, thoroughly researched, and entertaining . . . I highly recommend this book to those interested in true crime and murder documentaries.”—The Nerd Cantina
- “This is a wonderful book for true crime lovers.”—The Nerdy Girl Express
- "This debut outing from RedHanded podcast hosts Suruthi Bala and Hannah Maguire will appeal to true crime enthusiasts. The hit British duo won fans over with their obsessive interest in all things ghastly and ghoulish . . . Here, in this chatty tome, they take the conversation a step further, asking what creates the violent mindset behind the crimes they cover, and what role gender, poverty, politics, and culture play."—The Globe and Mail
- On Sale
- Sep 14, 2021
- Page Count
- 256 pages
- Running Press