Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around April 10, 2018. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Overcome the twelve habits holding you back and take your career to new heights with this wise and approachable guide from two business leadership experts.
Ready to take the next step in your career . . . but not sure what’s holding you back? Read on.
Leadership expert Sally Helgesen and bestselling leadership coach Marshall Goldsmith have trained thousands of high achievers — men and women — to reach even greater heights. Again and again, they see that women face specific and different roadblocks from men as they advance in the workplace. In fact, the very habits that helped women early in their careers can hinder them as they move up. Simply put, what got you here won’t get you there . . . and you might not even realize your blind spots until it’s too late.
Are you great with the details? To rise, you need to do less and delegate more.
Are you a team player? To advance, you need to take credit as easily as you share it.
Are you a star networker? Leaders know a network is no good unless you know how to use it.
Sally and Marshall identify the twelve habits that hold women back as they seek to advance, showing them why what worked for them in the past might actually be sabotaging their future success. Building on Marshall’s classic bestseller What Got You Here Won’t Get You There, How Women Rise is essential reading for any woman who is ready to advance to the next level.
- "Sally and Marshall give new meaning to the term 'dream team.' Together they have produced a masterpiece, an over-the-moon but magnificently down-to-earth leadership book for the ages."—Tom Peters,bestselling author of In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America'sBest-Run Companies
- "A myth-busting "how to" for the next generation of women leaders, and those who want to see them succeed. These ideas will transform our workplaces, our careers, and our lives."—Rita McGrath, professor at Columbia BusinessSchool and a Thinkers50 Top Ten Business Thinker
- "Women suffer from gender bias and when they rise further, also from the general difficulties of leadership. When women approach the top of organizations, they can also bring their own strengths that may unfairly be seen as weaknesses. Sally Helgesen's expertise and Marshall Goldsmith's wisdom bring these insights to light, so that women and men and can do better together at reaching their goals for us all to move forward. This is a powerful and timely book."—Dr. Anthony Marx, President, New York PublicLibrary
- "Women leaders will be driving forces in twenty-first century organizations. Practically and persuasively, Sally Helgesen and Marshall Goldsmith map out how this can and must happen."—Stuart Crainer and Des Dearlove, Founders of Thinkers50
- "How Women Rise is a great read for any woman who wants to identify self-defeating behaviors that are holding her back, gain insight into why she engages in those behaviors, and develop skills to confidently achieve her goals."—Lois P. Frankel,Ph.D., author of Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office and See JaneLead
- "The most powerful thing you can do for your career is to change what's in your control. Together, Marshall and Sally help women understand what they can change about their own behavior today to make greater contributions tomorrow. How Women Rise is a how-to guide for any woman seeking her next success."—Deanna Mulligan, CEO,Guardian Life
- "Many of the behaviors most prized in women socially are exactly the same behaviors that hold them back professionally. That paradox provokes huge amounts of conflict, anger, pain and frustration at work. But Sally and Marshall are here to help: identifying how and when to reconcile competing demands and motivators, without losing their identity, professionalism or power."—Margaret Heffernan,CEO and author of Willful Blindness
- "Pick up this book. Scan the 12 habits. Circle the top three that make you say 'that's me!' Read those chapters, commit to one of the suggestions, and you're on your way. The authors know their material!"—Beverly Kaye, founderof Career Systems International and co-author of Love 'Em or Lose 'Em:Getting Good People to Stay
- "Women who seek to rise, take note! This is your essential go-to guide. Also highly recommended for men who work with, for, or around women."—Liz Smith, CEO,Bloomin' Brands
- "This is a must read for women aiming to get to the next level in their careers. It gives insights into challenges and practical tools to address them."—Michelle R.Clayman, Founder and Chief Investment Officer, New Amsterdam Partners andChair, Advisory Council, of the Michelle R. Clayman Institute for GenderResearch at Stanford University
- "Fast forward your career with one powerful book from two of the world's most brilliant coaches! Marshall's famous strategies for behavior change combined with Sally's profound expertise on women will change your life from the first chapter. Start reading this book now!"—Carol Evans, Founderand President Emeritus of Working Mother Media
- "The habits and beliefs in How Women Rise provide a wonderful and positive opportunity for women to be self-aware. Sally and Marshall show women how to make tangible and crisp changes that will help them be even more successful and fulfilled at work and at home."—Aicha Evans, SeniorVice President and Chief Strategy Officer at Intel Corporation and a Fortunemagazine Top Future Women Leaders in America
- "A gem and a revelation. If you lead women, work with women, are a woman or know any women, you must read this book. Its sage and sane wisdom points the way to a life of genuine purpose and meaning."—Richard Leider,international bestselling author of The Power of Purpose, RepackingYour Bags, and Life Reimagined
- "The best leaders understand that in the shadow of their strengths lurk silent career killers. Sally and Marshall offer a brilliant lens to understand and transcend the habits that hold us back. If you want to lead at the top, How Women Rise is for you."—Liz Wiseman,bestselling author of Multipliers and Rookie Smarts
- "Whether you are just starting out in your career or a top executive, ample case studies, research, and wisdom make this engaging and actionable read a must read!"—Sanyin Siang, Executive Director of theFuqua/Coach K Center on Leadership & Ethics, Duke University
- "Sally and Marshall enable leaders who are women to move from where they are to where they want to be by sharing a blueprint for challenging the status-quo and shining a light on leading change."—Frances Hesselbein,Winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor
- "I am broadly distributing Marshall's new book, How Women Rise, to our leaders across Best Buy, to help our women leaders achieve their career goals and mentor their female colleagues, and to help men better work with and support the development of their female colleagues."—Hubert Joly, Chairmanand CEO, Best Buy
- "The top 3 reasons why I loved Sally and Marshall's book How Women Rise? 1) It's incredibly helpful to women, those with female colleagues or direct reports, and the healthy minority of men who are also more self-effacing than aggrandizing. 2) The book is filled with news you can use. It's has helped me, my C-level clients and will help you too. 3) The pages turn themselves. As a scientist as well as coach I can see the psychological and business sophistication behind the 12 habits. Start practicing today."—CarolKauffman, Harvard Medical School and Founder/Executive Director of the Instituteof Coaching
- "It's easy to find oneself in the pages of How Women Rise. Sally and Marshall teach us how to shift out of auto-pilot, jettison our success-inhibiting habits, and actively steer for the career destination we desire."—Whitney Johnson, critically-acclaimed author of DisruptYourself
- "Compelling, practical and highly engaging. Women seeking to make a career in law can benefit greatly from reading How Women Rise."—Jami Wintz McKeon,Chair, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- "Sally and Marshall's observations are brilliant-informed by both personal experience and deep scholarship. The behaviors they recommend are pragmatic and achievable; it is a book that will enhance women's effectiveness and ultimately their power."—Anna Fels, MD, authorof Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives
- "Extraordinary real-life stories of women who wait to be asked to the party, get stuck in their comfort zone, seek perfection, and assume their hard work will be recognized. Sally and Marshall show us how to get unstuck and to 'stand out' so women can move forward in more purposeful, powerful, and productive careers. This is a must read with great actionable advice!"—Janice Reals Ellig,Chief Executive Officer of Chadick Ellig and one of BusinessWeek's"World's Most Influential Headhunters"
- "Sally and Marshall have written a practical and entertaining career guide tailored to help women ascend to senior leadership roles in business, government, and not-for-profits."—Geoff Smart, Chairmanand Founder of ghSMART and bestselling author of Who and Power Score
- "How Women Rise is absolutely the right book at the right time by the ideal authors. Sally and Marshall's experiences and perspectives in leadership development, career success, and professional and personal satisfaction are each world-class in their own right. But taken together, they are magnificently complementary, creating an inspiring and actionable guide that will change the careers and lives of women leaders everywhere."—James M. Citrin,leader of Spencer Stuart's CEO Practice and a member of the firm's WorldwideBoard of Directors
- "They offer the kind of advice that women further along in their careers might wish they had known, from sidestepping the pitfalls of negative office culture to leveraging alliances with co-workers. A concise, upbeat guide for women who have grown bored or impatient with their positions, as well as for those new to the professional world and its leadership roles."—Kirkus Reviews
- "[An] insightful book.... [Helgesen and Goldsmith's] push for women to do a better job of claiming their achievements is a must-read."—The Everygirl
- "A smart and well-researched handbook for women trying to make the next step in their careers.... Helgesen and Goldsmith offer much more than just insights into the what of habits that constrain. They provide detailed tutoring on how to replace them with behaviors that produce excellent results."—Roger Dean Duncan, Forbes
- On Sale
- Apr 10, 2018
- Page Count
- 256 pages
- Hachette Books