Illustrated by Natasha Donovan
Formats and Prices
Format:Hardcover $18.99 $23.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around November 21, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
When Ojiig moves to the city with his family, he misses everything they left behind. Most of all, he misses the sparkling night sky. Without the stars watching over him, he feels lost.
His parents try to help, but nothing seems to work. Not glow-in-the-dark sticker stars, not a star-shaped nightlight. But then they have a new idea for how to make Ojiig feel better — a special quilt stitched through with family stories that will wrap Ojiig in the warmth of knowing who he is and where he came from. Join this irresistible family as they discover the power of story and tradition to make a new place feel like home.
Praise for When the Stars Came Home:
A Center for the Study of Multicultural Children’s Literature Best Book of 2023
* "A moving portrait about discovering what home means."Kirkus, starred review
* “Luby (Anishinaabe) and Donovan (Métis) have created a story of identity that is grounded in a specific community with universal themes that will appeal to many readers…useful for classes engaging in discussions about cultural identity, migration, and remaining connected to one’s culture…Highly recommended.”School Library Journal, starred review
* “Luby’s lyrical text and Donovan’s vibrant…illustrations combine to powerfully convey universal themes about change and the strength of family.”Horn Book, starred review
* “Anishinaabe author Luby’s observational, yearning-tinged prose aligns with Métis illustrator Donovan’s art, in which a golden-hued palette and rich purples and indigos echo starlight and velvety night.”Publishers Weekly, starred review
“With more than 70 percent of Indigenous Americans now residing in urban areas, this story of maintaining culture in a new environment will resonate.”Booklist
Praise for Encounter:New York Times Book Review
* "Brilliant."Kirkus, starred review
- On Sale
- Nov 21, 2023
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers