By Steven Horak
Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $23.99 $29.99 CAD
- ebook $16.99 $21.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 20, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
- Strategic, flexible itineraries with ideas for art lovers, outdoor adventurers, history buffs, and more
- Top experiences and unique activities: Wander through a ghost-town graveyard, count the bullet holes in the ceilings of preserved 19th-century saloons, or visit the birthplace of the atomic bomb. Soar through New Mexico's clear blue sky on a colorful hot air balloon. Spark inspiration and delight in the spirited art scene of Santa Fe, or seek an extraterrestrial experience at the International UFO Museum & Research Center in Roswell
- Savor the flavors: Dig into traditional local cuisine, like red sauce-smothered enchiladas, tender carne adovada, and hearty posole. Indulge in juicy green-chile cheeseburgers or opt for something lighter from one of New Mexico's many organic farm-to-table restaurants
- Outdoor adventures: Go deep on a trek into the mesmerizing underground world of Carlsbad Caverns or venture off-trail in the De-Na-Zin Wilderness to view stunning hoodoos. Raft from surging waters to gentle currents on the Rio Grande or explore the wavelike gypsum dunes of White Sands National Park
- Ways to respectfully engage with indigenous cultures: Attend a dance ceremony or a powwow, tour a pueblo, or peruse handmade goods at a market
- Local insight from Santa Fe dweller Steven Horak
- Full-color, vibrant photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the landscape, wildlife, health and safety, climate, and local culture, plus advice for families, seniors, international visitors, and LGBTQ+ travelers
- Focused coverage of Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, Navajo Nation, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, and more
Exploring more of the Southwest? Try Moon Arizona & the Grand Canyon or Moon Zion & Bryce. Hitting the road? Try Moon Southwest Road Trip.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
- "Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
- “The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
- "Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
- "Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
- "Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
- "Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times
- On Sale
- Sep 20, 2022
- Page Count
- 472 pages
- Moon Travel