Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
A Scarpetta Novel
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around October 25, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
In this thrilling installment of the #1 bestselling series, chief medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta finds herself a reluctant star witness in a sensational televised murder trial causing chaos in Old Town Alexandria with the threat of violent protests.
Chief medical examiner Kay Scarpetta is the reluctant star witness in a sensational murder trial when she receives shocking news. The judge’s sister has been found dead. At first glance, it appears to be a home invasion, but then why was nothing stolen, and why is the garden strewn with dead plants and insects?
Although there is no apparent cause of death, Scarpetta recognizes telltale signs of the unthinkable, and she knows the worst is yet to come. The forensic pathologist finds herself pitted against a powerful force that returns her to the past, and her time to catch the killer is running out . . .
- "The most personal title in the series yet, a terrific crime-thriller that doubles as a deep dive into a hero that we're still learning about."—Providence Journal
- "Goes well beyond our protagonist’s usual forensic science and shows just how versatile she can be."—BookReporter.com
- "Once again, Patricia Cornwell offers a glimpse into a nightmarish future that is already here, reminding us that our deepest fears have likely become reality. Fortunately, the guardians of good—of which Kay Scarpetta is a longstanding example—remain steadfast in their opposition, seeking justice and truth to quell the uncertainties that haunt us."—CriminalElement.com
- “Dr. Kay Scarpetta, who keeps us coming back to Patricia Cornwell’s sprawling crime novels, is one tough broad.”—New York Times Book Review, Praise for Depraved Heart
- “Scarpetta is brilliant, compassionate and humble, excelling in her profession and in diplomacy."—Library Journal, Starred Review for Autopsy
- Patricia Cornwell is a “masterful mysterian.”—Kirkus Reviews, Praise for Depraved Heart
- “Everyone knows Scarpetta; she has the wit, intelligence, and strength that any forensic sleuth should own. This never-stop action plot is yet another gift to readers from Patricia Cornwell-a literary artist that is never going to stop writing some of the best and most memorable thrillers out there.”—Suspense Magazine, Praise for Flesh and Blood
- "Cornwell’s demonic plot shifts and changes almost page by page, so the reader’s spun round not knowing what to believe.”—Providence Journal, Praise for Depraved Heart
- "Solid . . . fans will be satisfied."—Publishers Weekly
- "As usual, the dead are just more interesting than the living. Something to look forward to."—Kirkus
- "A riveting, heart-pounding thriller."—The Real Book Spy
- "Cornwell once again seems fully in sync with the character she created more than 30 years ago, and the story is guaranteed to keep the reader guessing."—Booklist
"Another great thriller featuring Kay Scarpetta . . . readers of the series will be happy with this one."—Red Carpet Crash
- On Sale
- Oct 25, 2022
- Page Count
- 368 pages
- Grand Central Publishing