Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around May 8, 2012. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
“No matter what or how you ride, read this book and remind yourself just how enjoyable cycling can and should be.”—Eben Weiss, author of The Enlightened Cyclist
Just Ride is a revelation. Forget the ultralight, uncomfortable bikes, flashy jerseys, clunky shoes that clip onto tiny pedals, the grinding out of endless miles. Instead, ride like you did when you were a kid—just get on your bike and discover the pure joy of riding it.
A reformed racer who’s commuted by bike every day since 1980, whose writings and opinions appear in major bicycling and outdoor magazines, and whose company, Rivendell Bicycle Works, makes bikes for riders ready to opt out of a culture overrun by racing, Grant Petersen shares a lifetime of unexpected facts, controversial opinions, expert techniques, and his own maverick philosophy.
In 87 short, two-to-three page chapters, it covers:
- Riding: Count Days, Not Miles; Corner Like Jackie Robinson; Steer with Your Hips, Shift with Your Legs
- Suiting Up: The Shoes Ruse; Ponchos—the Ultimate Unracer’s Garment
- Safety: #1 Rule—Be Seen; Helmets Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up to Be
- Health and Fitness: Why Riding Is Lousy All-Around Exercise; Saddles Don’t Cause Impotence; Drink When You’re Thirsty—Not Before
Also includes chapters on Accessories, Upkeep, and Technicalities, and a final chapter titled “Velosophy” that includes the essential, memorable thought: Your Bike Is a Toy—Have Fun with It.
Winner Silver Medal 2013 Independent Publisher Book Awards
- On Sale
- May 8, 2012
- Page Count
- 256 pages
- Workman Publishing Company