Hachette Book Group, a leader in the publishing industry, believes strongly in the importance of engaging in sustainable business practices and doing our part to improve society. We have created standards of operation and put policies in place to help ensure the long-term wellbeing of the natural world and its resources, the continued growth of a literate community, and the creation of a more diverse and inclusive company. To that end, we are pleased to share the details of our commitment to diversity, our environmental policy and our philanthropic efforts, which you may read below.
Our commitment to diversity
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Read more about our commitment to diversity and view our updates on diversity, equity, and inclusion at HBG on the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion page.
Our commitment to the environment
Hachette Book Group’s environmental policy demonstrates our commitment to the environment, to the responsible use of natural resources, and to sustainable business practice. The company’s comprehensive environmental policy, launched in November 2009, includes progressive goals on recycled fiber use, greenhouse gas emissions, responsible paper sourcing, and a wide range of other initiatives.
- HBG’s current Environmental Policy, announced in December 2016 (covering goals from 2017-2020).
- HBG’s Vendor Compliance Manual
- 2019-20 HBG Green Progress Report
- 2018-19 HBG Green Progress Report
- 2017-18 HBG Green Progress Report
Our commitment to philanthropy
Hachette Book Group supports organizations dedicated to promoting literacy and a love of books and reading. We are wholeheartedly devoted to fostering a robust publishing industry, to attending to the serious issue of illiteracy in this country, to protecting freedom of expression, and to supporting efforts for equity and social justice.
At HBG, we focus our philanthropic efforts primarily on the following areas:
- Trade organizations, which keep the book business healthy and reading central to our lives.
- Literacy organizations, which help teach an invaluable skill.
- Author assistance groups, giving authors in need the support to practice their craft.
- First Amendment rights groups, which help protect free speech and expression here and around the world.
- Equality and social justice organizations, to help create lasting change in our communities and our society.
- HBG authors’ causes and those championed by HBG staff are very important to us – this can range from a local library’s fundraiser to an author’s favorite worthy organization.
- Cultural organizations that help spread the word about books and reading.
Book Donations — we donate more than 100,000 copies annually, from a single signed copy for a fundraiser to large quantities for a struggling school district or library system.
All requests for financial and book donations are handled by HBG’s Communications department. If you feel that your organization or cause is in line with our goals of supporting literacy and a love of reading, please send all requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.