Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
By Seth Casteel
Formats and Prices
- ebook $2.99 $3.99 CAD
- Hardcover $21.00 $21.00 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 16, 2014. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
The world fell in love with swimming canines in Seth Casteel’s first book, Underwater Dogs. Now, in more than 80 previously unpublished portraits of underwater puppies, we see man’s best friends at their most playful and exuberant. Each vibrant and colorful underwater image shows off the wild and sublime range of emotions of puppies, cute and irresistible to the very last.
Table of Contents
In accordance with the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, the scanning, uploading, and electronic sharing of any part of this book without the permission of the publisher constitute unlawful piracy and theft of the author's intellectual property. If you would like to use material from the book (other than for review purposes), prior written permission must be obtained by contacting the publisher at email@example.com. Thank you for your support of the author's rights.
Puppies inspire an overwhelmingly positive reaction in so many of us. We are drawn to puppies because of their appearance and are captivated by their personalities as we watch them explore the world. It's exhilarating because, unlike human babies, puppies become adults in just a few short months. Since they develop so quickly, it's especially important to savor our time with them and to ensure that, during this window, we as puppy parents are doing the right things to prepare them to be part of our world.
If you decide you would like a puppy in your life, then you have to be ready to prime that puppy for a variety of places and situations. The more we can expose our puppies to the world when they are young, the more we will see their experiences reflected in their confidence and happiness as adults.
Puppies Know How to Swim???
Puppies already know how to swim even at just a few weeks old. Some are more successful than others, but they all need practice to better understand their physicality, which improves their overall swimming ability. Swimming may be innate, but dogs didn't evolve with the luxury of swimming pools; since a swimming pool is not a natural body of water, there are different rules that apply. Natural bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, and oceans generally have a gradient, providing a simple way of exiting. Swimming pools usually have one exit, which is often a set of steps. If the puppy doesn't know where those stairs are, he is going to have trouble, so the most important thing to teach our puppies is how to get out of the pool on their own.
I think people make a mistake with their puppies and swimming when they assume their puppy can't swim and that the water is dangerous. In actuality, what these owners are doing is creating a hazardous scenario for the puppy by denying him his right to practice, especially in a swimming-pool situation.
When puppies reach a certain age, they become so curious that they are fearless. During this time, it's important to develop these curiosities into confidence.
That's of course when it gets especially interesting for me. Seeing tiny puppies jump in on their own and swim to the ramp—it's incredible to watch them do it! In this book, among a range of underwater puppy experiences, you will see photographs of twelve-week-old Yellow Labrador Retrievers voluntarily diving to the bottom of a four-foot swimming pool to retrieve toys!
It was important to me to feature dozens of adoptable and adopted puppies in this book to remind people that adoption is a fantastic option when considering bringing a puppy into your life. With a little research, you can find the type of rescue puppy you are looking for, pay a fraction of the price you would to a breeder, and save a life—a win-win-win! I want to thank all of the wonderful animal rescue organizations that made this book possible. Your tireless efforts to make the world a better place for animals is inspiring!
Do You Really Want a Puppy?
As much as we all love puppies, we aren't all necessarily in the ideal situation to care for one. So many people underestimate the responsibility involved. Before making your decision, you should also consider adopting a senior pet. These little friends have lived and learned and are generally going to be much easier to integrate into your home. And they won't chew up your brand-new shoes or destroy the carpet, either!
Puppies in This Book
I met a first-grade teacher in Chicago and spoke with her about Underwater Puppies. She told me that one of the reasons she is a first-grade teacher is that she has the privilege of witnessing important moments in her students' lives. She asked me, "How do you feel with the puppies?" I said, "I feel like a first-grade teacher!" I experience so much pride when watching puppies swim for the first time. They've learned something they'll benefit from for the rest of their lives.
The puppies in the following photographs were ages six weeks to six months when I swam with them. Each puppy received swimming lessons to help prepare him to be part of the book and the world. I photographed more than a thousand puppies throughout the United States to achieve this collection of photographs.
One of Amazon's Best Books of the Year: Gift Books
"Possibly the only thing cuter than Underwater Dogs!"—Morning Edition
- "Seth Casteel's fabulous 2012 photo book, Underwater Dogs,captured the exact moment that pets plunged into the pool, wide-eyed and happy. Now he's repeated the experiment -- with predictably adorable results -- in Underwater Puppies."—Tina Jordan, Entertainment Weekly
- "Underwater Puppies has puppy Beagles and labrador retrievers and border collies underwater looking somewhat more floppy and goofy than their older counterparts, and just as cute, if not more so."—Steven Levingston, Washington Post
- "Insanely cute.... Underwater Puppies features a collection of delightful portraits of happy, submerged pooches playfully paddling below the surface.... Energetic, charming photos."—Vi-An Nguyen, Parade.com
- "Seth Casteel's underwater puppies are the perfect portrait subjects: Full of personality, snuggle-worth, and (literally) read to play ball."—Ainsley O'Connell, Fast Company
- "Underwater Puppies will make your day.... Casteel's photos... capture the primal, playful, and oh-so-adorable side of puppies."—Good Morning America
- "Simultaneously gorgeous and otherworldly, the book's exuberant pups had us at the get-go."—Connie Wilson, Modern Dog
- "Underwater Puppies will doggy paddle their way into your heart. The charming photo book features more than 80 underwater puppy portraits that are as vibrant as they are insanely cute."—Mother Nature Network
- "Puppies are adorable by themselves, but add water and you get to see their cuteness at a whole different level."—Daniel Casillas, Metro
- "The genius of Seth Casteel comes into clear focus with the amazing images of diving canines.... Outrageously adorable puppy portraits presenting our best friends at their most playful and exuberant. ... Casteel's bold and unique photographs capture colorful underwater scenes of romping retrievers and playful pugs, courageous Cavaliers and vibrant vizslas, and many more. Each puppy's image is bursting with the wild and sublime range of puppy emotions--cute, irresistible, and always lovable.... Casteel captures each endearing, playful pup in action--with eyes open and staring back at us--attesting to why our best friends are our four-legged friends."—Alan Petrucelli, Examiner.com
- On Sale
- Sep 16, 2014
- Page Count
- 128 pages
- Little, Brown and Company