Formats and Prices
Something bad happened here.
When Case arrives at a run-down, ivy-covered house tucked deep in the West Texas woods, an ashy haze lingers in the air and the sky is tissue-paper pink. Her best friend Drea has been living here with a few classmates Case has never met, and Drea asked her to visit in a letter dated two weeks ago.
But now Drea is nowhere to be found.
Drea’s roommates can’t—or won’t—answer questions, leaving Case to search alone. She finds bits of Drea’s journal hidden in the tiles of the bathroom wall, in a beat-up cooler by the muddy river, wedged into the frame of her closet door. As Case pieces together Drea’s life in this strange house, the roommates’ behavior puts her increasingly on edge—and she’s not the only one. The animals nearby are lashing out, attacking each other, threatening the humans.
Something bad happened in this house. Something that must be connected to Drea’s disappearance. And if she gets too close to the truth, Case just might be next.
"Haunting and atmospheric, with writing that crackles with a pulse of its own. A mystery that demands to be read in one sitting."Kara Thomas, author of The Cheerleaders
"Eerie, atmospheric, and simmering with dread, Clever Creatures of the Night puts Mabry's immense talent on full display. Not to be missed."Rory Power, New York Times bestselling author of Wilder Girls
"A riveting whiplash of a mystery set in a landscape full of threat and unsettling beauty. Clever Creatures of the Night ignites Samantha Mabry’s sinister skill in surrounding you in rising unease until you’re left trusting no one and nothing. I couldn’t put it down."Nova Ren Suma, New York Times bestselling author of The Walls Around Us
Praise for Samantha Mabry:
* “Will haunt—and empower—readers." —Kirkus Reviews, starred review (Tigers, Not Daughters)
* “Engaging, heartfelt.” —SLJ, starred review (Tigers, Not Daughters)
* "It lays its characters utterly and unforgettably bare.” —Booklist, starred review (Tigers, Not Daughters)
* “Mabry speaks gracefully to the transformative power of grief.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review (Tigers, Not Daughters)
* "Lyrical…empowering." —Shelf Awareness, starred review (Tigers, Not Daughters)
* "Quietly searing.” —BCCB, starred review (Tigers, Not Daughters)
* “In aching, luminous prose, Mabry crafts a story impossible to forget.” —Booklist, starred review (All the Wind in the World)
* “A fierce new world with high stakes.” —SLJ, starred review (All the Wind in the World)
* “Evocative, searing prose.” —BCCB, starred review (All the Wind in the World)
* “Gracefully written, mysterious.” —VOYA, starred review (All the Wind in the World)
* “Will likely leave a mark on readers for days.” —BCCB, starred review (A Fierce and Subtle Poison)
- On Sale
- Mar 5, 2024
- Page Count
- 240 pages
- Algonquin Young Readers