Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Formats and Prices
- ebook $9.99 $12.99 CAD
- Hardcover $18.99 $23.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
- Trade Paperback $10.99 $14.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around October 5, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
From beloved fantasy author Mercedes Lackey comes a fresh and feminist reinterpretation of Sleeping Beauty.Miriam may be the daughter of Queen Alethia of Tirendell, but she's not a princess. She's the child of Alethia and her previous husband, the King's Champion, who died fighting for the king, and she has no desire to rule. When her new baby sister Aurora, heir to the throne, is born, she's ecstatic. She adores the baby, who seems perfect in every way. But on the day of Aurora's christening, an uninvited Dark Fae arrives, prepared to curse her, and Miriam discovers she possesses impossible power.
Soon, Miriam is charged with being trained in both magic and combat to act as chief protector to her sister. But shadowy threats are moving closer and closer to their kingdom, and Miriam's dark power may not be enough to save everyone she loves, let alone herself.
"Readers will be spellbound by Miri’s misadventures and her relatable coming-of-age . . . strongly recommended for upper middle grade/YA fans of the genre who prefer magical solutions over weapons and violence."—School Library Journal, starred review
- "Lackey gives Miri’s narration a light, contemporary voice that harmonizes with a plethora of realistic detail about daily life in the pseudo-medieval-European setting."—BCCB
- "A gentle “Sleeping Beauty”–inspired tale of teens training to defend a baby princess."—Kirkus Reviews
Praise for the Hunter Series:*"Joyeaux's narration is spellbinding, the prose easily balancing the technology of the future with the tradition of the past. Captivating, dynamic, well-paced, and thrilling."—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
- "Spirituality, psychic abilities, propaganda, magic, monsters, and mayhem make this a book with a dozen hooks to snag readers and win Lackey even more fans."—Booklist
- "Lackey successfully mixes dystopia and fantasy in this series opener . . . The novel is exciting, entirely entertaining, and sure to please her fans."—Publishers Weekly
- On Sale
- Oct 5, 2021
- Page Count
- 336 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers