Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The Lion & the Mouse (Caldecott Medal Winner)
Formats and Prices
Format:Hardcover $18.99 $23.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 1, 2009. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
This New York Times bestselling and award-winning fable of compassion and kindness, as reimagined by legendary artist Jerry Pinkney, is an essential addition to any bookshelf of children’s classics.
In award-winning artist Jerry Pinkney's wordless adaptation of one of Aesop's most beloved fables, an unlikely pair learn that no act of kindness is ever wasted. After a ferocious lion spares a cowering mouse that he'd planned to eat, the mouse later comes to his rescue, freeing him from a poacher's trap. With vivid depictions of the landscape of the African Serengeti and expressively-drawn characters, Pinkney makes this a truly special retelling, and his stunning pictures speak volumes.
Don’t miss these other classic retellings by Pinkney:
The Little Mermaid
The Grasshopper and the Ants
The Tortoise and the Hare
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Little Red Riding Hood
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Praise for The Lion and the Mouse:2010 Caldecott Medal WinnerScholastic Parent & Child Magazine 100 Greatest Books for KidsScholastic Parent & Child Magazine Most Beautifully Illustrated
- * "Pinkney enriches this classic tale of friendship with another universal theme - family - affectingly illustrated in several scenes as well as in the back endpapers... African species grace splendid panoramas that balance the many finely detailed, closeup images of the protagonists. Pinkney has no need for words; his art speaks eloquently for itself."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
- * "A nearly wordless exploration of Aesop's fable of symbiotic mercy that is nothing short of masterful... Unimpeachable."—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
- * "Pinkney's luminous art, rendered in watercolor and colored pencil, suggests a natural harmony... The ambiguity that results from the lack of words in this version allows for a slower, subtle, and ultimately more satisfying read. Moments of humor and affection complement the drama. A classic tale from a consummate artist."—School Library Journal, starred review
- * "By retelling Aesop's fable entirely in his signature pencil and watercolor art, Pinkney encourages closer exploration of the pleasing detail with which he amplifies it... It will be a challenge for libraries to make every gorgeous surface available, but it's a challenge worth taking on."—The Horn Book, starred review
- "Here, Pinkney is audacious, courageous, or simply imaginative enough to retell the classic Aesop fable without text... As a master of the media, [he] handles pencil and transparent watercolors with added colored pencils to create naturalistic characters while avoiding the strictures of photorealism. This is a stunning tour de force."—Children's Literature
- "This version of the familiar Aesop's fable--lushly illustrated and set in Africa's Serengeti region--offers a unique, and memorable, concluding twist."—The Washington Post
- "A child will get lost in the illustrations and grow old with this beauty."—Verily Magazine
- "A delightful, old-fashioned version of the tale. With lively detail...the pictures reflect the danger and coziness, and are just right for their preschool audience."—Booklist
- "An attractive take on the familiar folktale, particularly appropriate for groups."—The Horn Book
- On Sale
- Sep 1, 2009
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers