Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
A Blind Corner
By Caitlin Macy
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $27.00 $34.00 CAD
- ebook $13.99 $17.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around June 21, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
In an era of “hot takes” and easy generalizations, this collection reclaims the absurdities and paradoxes of life as it is actually lived from the American fantasy of “niceness”. In Macy’s world, human desires and fatal blind spots slam headlong into convenient, social-media-driven narratives that would sort us into neat boxes of insider or outsider; good or bad; with us or against us.
Time and again, whether at home or in the age-old role of Americans abroad, Macy’s women see their good intentions turn awry. A woman who tries to do a good deed for an underprivileged child sees it go horribly wrong. A wife, attempting to be a good host to a friend’s strange ex-boyfriend, finds herself in a compromised situation. And, in the title story, a newlywed fancies herself a Euro-sophisticate until an accident reminds her just how truly foreign she really is.
In tales where shocking and sometimes brutal events disabuse characters of their most cherished beliefs, Macy forgoes easy moralization in favor of uncomfortable truths that reveal the complexity of what it means to be human.
- “Returning to short fiction following her novel Mrs. (2018), Macy (Spoiled, 2009) introduces characters unified by a sense of disorientation and outsider status in her second collection… Macy renders each character’s emotional complexities in thoughtful detail. With nuanced storytelling and memorable settings, she draws readers into the minds of people struggling to live as different versions of themselves.”—Booklist
- “Macy (Mrs.) brings these stories to life with a sharp moral critique and an observant eye.”—Library Journal
- "Playful and biting."—New York Post
- "Lively, acute."—Kirkus
"Macy impresses with strange internal monologues . . . . [and] dragging the reader, along with her characters, out of their comfort zone.”
- Praise for MRS.
"Mrs. could be the next Big Little Lies."
- "Deeply moving, hugely entertaining, utterly brilliant. As an observer of human behavior Macy rivals Tom Wolfe and Edward St. Aubyn. Mrs. is a major novel, and Macy is an essential American voice."—Lev Grossman, author of The Magicians (on Mrs.)
- "I love novels that are both rousing and intelligent, and Mrs. was just that—a riveting, complex, and potent story of money, friendships, and family. Macy masters New York's Upper East Side because she goes beyond the vanities and delves into its layers, its distinct voices and characters. She puts you in the territory of the well-heeled and shows their heart and soul."—Kaui Hart Hemmings, author of The Descendants
- On Sale
- Jun 21, 2022
- Page Count
- 224 pages
- Little, Brown and Company