Formats and Prices
Charlie has a foolproof plan for the first day at her new middle school. Even though she's used to starting over as the new kid—thanks to her military family's constant moving—making friends has never been easy for her. But this time, her first impression needs to last, since this is where her family plans to settle for good.
So she's hiding any interests that may seem “babyish,” updating her look, and doing her best to leave her shyness behind her…but is erasing the real Charlie the best way to make friends?
When not everything goes exactly to plan—like, AT ALL—Charlie is ready to give up on making new friendships. Then she meets the Curlfriends, a group of Black girls who couldn't be more different from each other, and learns that maybe there is a place for Charlie to be her true self after all.
Sharee Miller's graphic novel debut starts off an exciting contemporary series featuring four Black girls who each have a unique story, and each learn lessons about friendship, family, and being their true selves.
- "A refreshingly honest look at middle school friendship, and the cost of trying to fit in.”—Claribel A. Ortega, NYT bestselling and award winning author of Frizzy
- "A charming reminder that being your true self is the key to finding friends who love you for who you are." —Kayla Miller, creator of the Click graphic novel series
- "Miller's vibrant, playful art and stylish characters perfectly capture both the awkwardness and joy of making new friends and reminds us why it's so important to stay true to ourselves."—Rose Bousamra, illustrator of Frizzy
- “For anyone who has ever had a hard time fitting in or feeling confident, Curlfriends creates a safe space to explore those feelings and work through them. Sharee crafts such a rich welcoming world with her sweet illustrations and her charming characters that feel so real and earnest. I want to be friends with all of them and I can’t wait to read more and more of their stories!”—Vashti Harrison, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
- * "With empathy, charm, and a seemingly endless supply of good cheer, Miller (Michelle’s Garden) crafts a stirring tale that encourages kindness and honesty in pursuit of friendship."—Publishers Weekly
- "A sincere and relatable depiction of trying too hard to fit in and almost losing yourself in the process."—School Library Journal
- "Miller’s vibrant art is warm and inviting, with engaging details that pop on every page.... A welcome graphic novel with Black girl representation for middle-graders and middle-schoolers."—Horn Book
- "Miller skillfully tackles middle school growing pains, complicated parental relationships, and the importance of a strong community in this brisk, humorous graphic novel..... Readers are sure to find the Curlfriends endearing as they encourage Charlie to be her true self."—Kirkus reviews
- On Sale
- Oct 10, 2023
- Page Count
- 288 pages
- Little, Brown Ink
Books Are Magic hosts Sharee Miller in conversation with Vashti Harrison
Books Are Magic Bookstore | Brooklyn, NYMore Information