By Zoje Stage
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around August 17, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
In this terrifying novel from the bestselling "master of the psychological thriller" and author of Baby Teeth (Entertainment Weekly), three friends set off on a hike into the Grand Canyon—only to discover it's not so easy to leave the world behind.
“Stage is a writer with a gift for the lyrical and the frightening . . . Getaway feels original, and very scary.” —The New York Times Book Review
Imogen and Beck, two sisters who couldn't be more different, have been friends with Tilda since high school. Once inseparable, over two decades the women have grown apart. But after Imogen survives a traumatic attack, Beck suggests they all reunite to hike deep into the Grand Canyon’s backcountry. A week away, secluded in nature . . . surely it’s just what they need.
But as the terrain grows tougher, tensions from their shared past bubble up. And when supplies begin to disappear, it becomes clear secrets aren’t the only thing they’re being stalked by. As friendship and survival collide with an unspeakable evil, Getaway becomes another riveting thriller from a growing master of suspense and a “literary horror writer on the rise” (BookPage).
"You won’t blink until you read the last line.” —Publishers Weekly
“A chilling thriller that will definitely make you lose sleep at night.” —PopSugar
“I’ve been waiting for a thriller to capture the emotional depth of women for years. . . . I can’t recommend Getaway enough.” —Tarryn Fisher, New York Times bestselling author of The Wives and The Wrong Family
“Tense, unpredictable, and utterly compelling, Stage’s complex story of friendship and survival is a must-read.” —Karen Dionne, New York Times bestselling author of The Marsh King's Daughter
“A harrowing, heart-pounding thrill ride.”—Rachel Harrison, author of The Return
- “A terrifying thriller about female friendship . . . Zoje Stage is continuing her run as the master of the psychological thriller."—Entertainment Weekly
- "Strap into your pack and step into this inky darkness with Zoje Stage, and know that, after the sun goes down, nothing’s safe."—Stephen Graham Jones, New York Times bestselling author of The Only Good Indians
- "Zoje Stage’s Getaway is exactly the kind of heart-in-your-throat, how-are-they-going-to-get-out-of-it thriller that I love—a rip-roaring wilderness adventure story that tests the characters’ physical abilities and moral resolve to their limits. Tense, unpredictable, and utterly compelling, Stage’s complex story of friendship and survival is a must-read. I loved this book!”—Karen Dionne, internationally bestselling author of The Marsh King’s Daughter and The Wicked Sister
- “An outstanding read. Suffice it to say that what follows is a stunning—at times sensitive, at times feral—exploration of just how deep and powerful the bonds of sisterhood and female friendship can be and how a squeaky mouse can become a roaring lion. . . . Recommend as women’s fiction as well as psychological suspense.”—Booklist (starred review)
- “Three friends, the Grand Canyon, a week-long trip: what could go wrong? The blade of dread is at your carotid on every page of Getaway. I loved reading Stage's latest and being taken on this slow, steady descent into hell.”—Erica Ferencik, author of The River at Night
- "Harrowing . . . A nerve-shredding adventure that's as exhilarating—and dangerous—as its awe-inspiring setting."—Taylor Adams, author of No Exit
- “Getaway feels like 127 Hours meets The Descent . . . In Zoje Stage’s latest delightfully disturbing novel, best friends head into the Grand Canyon’s deepest recesses in an adventure that quickly becomes a nightmare.” —CrimeReads
- “In Zoje Stage’s masterful, deft hands, a girlfriends’ backpacking trip becomes, instead, a nightmarish descent into unimaginable terror. Chilling, thrilling, spine-tinglingly addictive, and unbelievably tense, I held my breath as I raced through the last hundred pages, desperate to find out what was going to happen. An absolute thrill-ride and a deep dive into female friendship, Getaway deserves to be the top of your summer reading list!”—May Cobb, author of The Hunting Wives
- “Tense and terrifying, Getaway is an extraordinary work of suspense. Stage delivers both a harrowing, heart-pounding thrill ride and an astute exploration of trauma, regret, compassion, and perseverance."—Rachel Harrison, author of The Return
- “Three friends, the Grand Canyon, a week-long trip: what could go wrong? The blade of dread is at your carotid on every page of Getaway. I loved reading Stage's latest.”—Erica Ferencik, author of The River at Night and Into the Jungle
- “[It] delivers chilling moments against the stunning backdrop of the Grand Canyon and an unexpected, but totally empowering women supporting women message.”—Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- “A dazzling hunt and hide chase through the Grand Canyon, as white-hot and pulsing as the Arizona sun. . . . Zoje Stage masterfully displays what happens when female friendship becomes the most powerful weapon in a wilderness fight for survival.”—Jenny Milchman, USA Today bestselling author of The Second Mother
- "A twisty, delirious read."—Entertainment Weekly, on Baby Teeth
- "A deliciously creepy read."—New York Post, on Baby Teeth
- On Sale
- Aug 17, 2021
- Page Count
- 352 pages
- Mulholland Books