Illustrated by Vashti Harrison
Formats and Prices
Format:Hardcover $17.99 $22.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around October 19, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Stunningly illustrated by #1 New York Times bestselling artist Vashti Harrison, Hello, Star (written by Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic) is an inspiring story about a love of science and the importance of empathy.
As the years pass, the girl learns everything she can about planets, space, and the universe, inspired by her dimming friend—until she realizes she needs to do something more.
This touching tribute to stars, space, and science celebrates how a small act of compassion can flourish into a life full of meaning and wonder.
- "This book celebrates a child’s curiosity and compassion.... Share with your favorite future astronauts."—Kirkus Reviews
- "Will illuminate a path for future curious children."—Booklist
- "Harrison’s characteristically absorbing illustrations, rendered in colored pencil and digitally, make vivid use of chiaroscuro, offering mesmerizing, photorealistic spreads of skies and space in this narrative ideal for young astrophiles."—Publishers Weekly
- Sublime illustrations by Vashti Harrison perfectly capture the wonder of a dying supernova that propels a determined girl's astronaut dreams.—Lacey Vorrasi-Banis, Entertainment Weekly
- Most picture books plant themselves squarely in the realm of childhood, never bringing their main characters along into adulthood. This book dares to make a change. [...] a reminder of how short our lives are compared to the life, and subsequent death, of the stars. A picture book that dares to make you think. —Betsy Bird, School Library Journal
- "This beautiful STEM-themed picture book is about a young Black girl who spots a burning star in the night sky. Her mother explains the star is dying, and the girl becomes fascinated with space — particularly with the burning star, who she speaks to at night, determined to let the star know that it won’t die alone."—Book Riot, Best Books of 2021
- “Sublime illustrations by Vashti Harrison perfectly capture the wonder of a dying supernova that propels a determined girl’s astronaut dreams.”—Entertainment Weekly
- " Divisional and Regional winner for California/Hawaii."—SCBWI Crystal Kite Awards
- On Sale
- Oct 19, 2021
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers