Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around July 11, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Sixteen-year-old Maya Krishnan is fiercely protective of her friends, immigrant community, and single mother, but she knows better than to rock the boat in her conservative Florida suburb. Her classmate Juneau Zale is the polar opposite: she’s a wealthy white heartbreaker who won’t think twice before capsizing that boat.
When Juneau invites Maya to join the Pugilists—a secret society of artists, vandals, and mischief-makers who fight for justice at their school—Maya descends into the world of change-making and resistance. Soon, she and Juneau forge a friendship that inspires Maya to confront the challenges in her own life.
But as their relationship grows romantic, painful, and twisted, Maya begins to suspect that there’s a whole different person beneath Juneau’s painted-on facade. Now Maya must learn to speak her truth in this mysterious, mixed-up world—even if it results in heartbreak.
- “The protagonist’s passion, outrage, and longing are vividly expressed through ruminative first-person prose and sharp dialogue ... A turbulent and cathartic account of self-discovery, activism, and first love.”—Kirkus
- "Emotionally raw … a socially conscious self-love story about identity, family, and belonging."—Publishers Weekly
- "The breakneck plot will grab readers, while Maya's personality will carry them to the end."—Booklist
- "Amidst intensely intimate moments both emotionally and physically, Maya’s struggle toward equilibrium and forgiveness is hard-won and satisfying.” —BCCB
- On Sale
- Jul 11, 2023
- Page Count
- 384 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers