Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Read by Christie Moreau
Formats and Prices
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
- ebook $5.99 $5.99 CAD
- Hardcover $28.00 $35.00 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around November 16, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Things are looking up for Detective Betty Rhyzyk. She’s settled into a happy marriage and been promoted to Sergeant in the Dallas Police Department. But when a hostage stand-off puts her on the phone with legendary cartel leader The Knife, things take a turn. The Knife has heard a rival is making a play for the streets of Dallas—none other than Evangeline Roy. The matriarch of a ruthless cult, Evangeline also happens to hold a personal vendetta against Betty. So who better to draw Evangeline out of hiding? Betty’s got two weeks to catch her. Or else.
With Betty’s young charge Mary Grace already missing—having left her seven-month-old baby behind in Betty’s care—and the drug dealers of Dallas donning strange red wigs and delivering cryptic messages, Betty’s in a race for answers. With the clock ticking down, it will take everything she’s got to finally put an end to Evangeline’s reign of terror, and to keep her beloved Dallas—and her own family—safe at last.
“The Pledge is the terrific adrenaline punch you’d expect for the grand finale of Kathleen Kent’s Edgar-nominated trilogy starring Betty Rhyzyk, who is as iconic a crime fighter as Kent is a crime writer.” —Julia Heaberlin
"A police procedural like none you’ve ever read." —Hank Phillippi Ryan
“A thrilling last dance with the formidable Betty Rhyzyk.” —Steph Cha
“Detective Betty is one of my favorite queer characters in crime fiction. The Pledge is fiery and propulsive.”—Kristen Lepionka
- "Terrific. Riveting. Heartbreaking. A police procedural like none you’ve ever read. The Pledge is a devastating story of the depth of vengeance, the passion of motherhood, and the shattering power of belief--gorgeously structured and brilliantly written. The incredibly talented Kathleen Kent has created a haunting, dark, and original character… and gives the iconic Detective Betty an unforgettably personal story. Calling Hollywood--this is instantly cinematic and completely compelling. Do not miss this!"—Hank Phillippi Ryan, bestselling author of Her Perfect Life
- “The Pledge is the terrific adrenaline punch you’d expect for the grand finale of Kathleen Kent’s Edgar-nominated trilogy starring Betty Rhyzyk, who is as iconic a crime fighter as Kent is a crime writer. Kent delivers every time, raising Texas hell in a voice as crisp and meaty as chicken-fried steak. If you haven’t yet met this high-octane series, grab The Dime, The Burn, and The Pledge for your next binge—I promise you won’t come up for air until you’ve become a Betty fan for life.”—Julia Heaberlin, bestselling author of We Are All the Same in the Dark
- "In this complex and page-turning thriller, the gritty world of narcotics policing intersects with the fantastic, and intuition and insight come together in pursuit of truth. While fans will be sad to see the one-of-a-kind Betty Rhyzyk go, Kent creates a compelling and satisfying end to her trilogy, one that explores the effects of intergenerational trauma, the power of chosen families, and how faith—in the divine, the badge, or the wisdom of those came before us—can be a weapon wielded for justice or chaos."—Halley Sutton, author of The Lady Upstairs
“The Pledge is a thrilling last dance with the formidable Betty Rhyzyk.”
—Steph Cha, author of Your House Will Pay
- “Detective Betty is one of my favorite queer characters in crime fiction. The Pledge is fiery and propulsive . . . bring[ing] her story to a satisfying conclusion full of twists, tension, and emotional resonance.”—Kristen Lepionka, author of The Last Place You Look
- Praise for Kathleen Kent and The Burn
- "Gripping . . . Briskly paced, The Burn barely allows the reader to take a breath as believable twists careen throughout."—Oline Cogdill, Associated Press
- "Deeply satisfying . . . [Betty is] an obsessive, borderline unstable, fascinating, Brooklyn-born seeker of truth. . . . With Betty Rhyzyk, Kathleen Kent brings those mean streets to life as excitingly as anybody has in years."—The Washington Post
- "Harsh, violent reality is the daily fare for Dallas police detective Betty Rhyzyk, the narrator of Kathleen Kent's satisfying The Burn."—The Wall Street Journal
- "Kent's Dallas setting is so meticulously drawn that one can practically smell the streets, the sour odor of the street people. All of her characters are memorable, and not a single one, even the minor characters, is less than three dimensional."—New York Journal of Books
- "A suspenseful mystery right up until the end --- and an effective exploration of trauma and its ongoing repercussions, not only for survivors but also for those who care about, and for, them."—BookReporter
- "Kent continues to reinvent and subvert traditional noir expectations with the larger-than-life, damaged, courageous Betty. . . . Action-driven mystery anchored by dynamic, deep characters."—Kirkus Reviews (starred)
- On Sale
- Nov 16, 2021
- Hachette Audio