Illustrated by Peter Jarvis
Formats and Prices
Format:Hardcover $17.99 $23.49 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around January 5, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Celebrate the power of differences with this funny and heartwarming children’s book about a little girl who faces her fears on the first day of school — and learns to love what makes her unique.
When Scarlet was born, her parents did the usual counting. Two eyes. One nose. Ten fingers. Ten toes. Also: one long, fluffy, fuzzy, furry tail. That was a surprise.
Born a bit different than expected, Scarlet has always embraced her uniqueness. When she starts preschool, though, she finds it can be a little scary to stand out from the crowd. But with the help of some new friends, Scarlet’s infectious enthusiasm has everyone celebrating what makes her special!
Praise for Scarlet's Tale:
An Arkansas Diamond Primary Book Award Nominee
* "A story of embracing difference in oneself and in others that's refreshingly even-tempered and light on its toes. Vernick's straightforward, economic prose and Jarvis's softly colored, deeply expressive line drawings portray the glow of unconditional love and the hurt of exclusion without being preachy about either."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
- "Bright background colors and simple details in the illustrations keep the focus on emotions and interactions. Even tailless children will empathize with Scarlet."—Kirkus
- "The book boasts fun, cartoonish, and colorful illustrations that follow the text and vividly express the emotions of the characters throughout the story."—School Library Connection
- "[G]ood choice to share with young readers not yet ready for more nuanced portrayals of conflict around differences. [...] Recommended for large collections, and specifically to preschool classrooms introducing the topic of embracing differences."—School Library Journal
- "Illustrations in cheerful colors and a variety of shapes and sizes will appeal to children, [as will] Scarlet's new baby brother. This book is 'for anyone who has ever felt a little different.'"—Booklist
- "This is a solid entry in the classic category of adjusting to fantastical differences; Vernick’s tone moves easily from playful to sympathetic…. Comfy illustrations feature figures with soft yet lively lines brushed speedily with digital paints in sunny hues."—BCCB
- On Sale
- Jan 5, 2021
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers