By Tess Sharpe
Read by Tess Sharpe
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around January 24, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
After years of bickering, Penny and Tate have called a truce: they’ll play nice. They have to. Their mothers (life-long best friends) need them to be perfect, drama-free daughters when Penny’s mother becomes a living liver donor to Tate’s mom. Forced to live together as the Moms recover, the girls’ truce is essential in keeping everything—their jobs, the house, the finances, the Moms’ healing—running smoothly. They’ve got to let this thing between them go.
There’s one little hitch: Penny and Tate keep almost kissing.
It’s just this confusing thing that keeps happening. You know, from time to time. For basically their entire teenaged existence.
They’ve never talked about it. They’ve always ignored it in the aftermath. But now they’re living across the hall from each other.
And some things—like their kisses—can’t be almosts forever.
Told through two girls’ present and six moments from their past, this dynamic love story shows that sometimes the person you need the most has been there for you all along.
“In this character-driven, slow-burn romance, both Penny and Tate are engaging voices, enriching the narrative with their strong and very different personalities. It’s impossible to choose a favorite…Well characterized and wholly entertaining.”Kirkus
Praise for Tess Sharpe
The Girls I've Been:
* "A captivating, explosive, and satisfyingly queer thriller." —Kirkus, starred review
* "An arrestingly incisive narrative . . . fiercely captivating and impressively characterized, this tightly plotted thriller is engrossing from start to finish." —Booklist, starred review
* "Not since Veronica Mars have hardscrabble swagger, enormous grief and teenage noir been combined into such a satisfying piece of storytelling. The Girls I've Been is a heart-wrenching, perfectly paced, cinematic thriller . . . a romance, a tragedy and a story about reclaiming agency and power. It is a triumph." —Bookpage, starred review
Barbed Wire Heart:
"Harley is one of the most complex, fascinating, dangerous characters I've encountered in years." —Lisa Gardner
"Terrific. " —David Baldacci
"Pulls off something rare." —Chicago Tribune
"Possibly the most powerful, original female character we've had in decades." —New York Journal of Books
* "Highly satisfying." —Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Sharpe is definitely a name to watch." —Booklist, starred review
Far From Here
* "This beautifully realized debut delves into the emotions of a girl recovering from drug addiction and grief, all wrapped up in a solid mystery." —Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Sharpe creat[es] a lacerating picture of grief and regret. ...The murder mystery is compelling, and its resolution serves as a reminder that love is irrevocably tied to loss and that few people get out of it unscathed." —Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review
"This romance is full of struggle and strong emotions, likely to find an appreciable YA audience." —School Library Journal
- On Sale
- Jan 24, 2023
- Hachette Audio