Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The Fourth Man
The Hunt for a KGB Spy at the Top of the CIA and the Rise of Putin's Russia
By Robert Baer
Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $18.99 $23.99 CAD
- ebook $15.99 $20.99 CAD
- Hardcover $30.00 $38.00 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
Also available from:
We think we know all the Cold War’s greatest spy stories. The tales of America’s greatest traitors have been told over and over. However, the biggest story of them all remains untold—until now. Rumors have long swirled of another mole in American intelligence, one perhaps more damaging than all the others combined. Perhaps the greatest traitor in American history, perhaps a Russian ruse to tear the CIA apart, or perhaps nothing more than a bogeyman, he is often referred to as the Fourth Man.
Blowing the lid off the biggest spy story in decades, Robert Baer tells the full, gripping story for the first time. After arrest of KGB spy Aldrich Ames, the CIA launched another investigation to make sure there wasn't another double agent in its ranks. Led by three of the CIA’s best spy hunters, women who devoted their lives to counterintelligence, its existence was known only to a few. They began methodically investigating their own bosses and colleagues, turning up loose threads, suspicious activity, and shocking intelligence from the CIA’s best Russian asset. In the end, they came to a startling conclusion that, whether true or not, would shake American intelligence to its core, setting the stage for a cat-and-mouse game with enormous geopolitical stakes. Spies and moles may seem like bygone cold war history, but with Russia again a misunderstood belligerent power, the skeletons America would rather keep hidden are emerging, and as Robert Baer shows in this thrilling masterwork of investigative reporting, they matter as much now as ever.
- "...a page turner."—Hustler
- "A gripping and mind-bending read."—Daily Beast
- "If you want a good thriller to read, here it is: The Fourth Man by Bob Baer,"—Erica Hill, CNN New Day
- "Fascinating stuff from one of the best experts on this in the business."—Jim Acosta, CNN
- "There are many complicated threads to follow, and Baer weaves them all expertly into a compelling picture of Russian spycraft and American complacency. ... Everyone at the CIA should read this book, as should every responsible citizen. Our country would be a lot safer if they did."—New York Journal of Books
- On Sale
- Jun 9, 2026
- Page Count
- 304 pages
- Hachette Books