By Nina Varela
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around February 14, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
When Juniper Harvey’s family moves to the middle of nowhere in Florida, her entire life is uprooted. As if that's not bad enough, she keeps having dreams about an ancient-looking temple, a terrifying attack, and a mysterious girl who turns into an ivory statue. One night after a disastrous school dance, Juniper draws a portrait of the girl from her dreams and thinks, I wish you were here. The next morning, she wakes up to find the girl in her room…pointing a sword at her throat!
The unexpected visitor reveals herself as Galatea, a princess from a magical other world. One problem—her crown is missing, and she needs it in order to return home. Now, it’s up to Juniper to help find the crown, all while navigating a helpless crush on her new companion. And things go from bad to worse when a sinister force starts chasing after the crown too.
Packed with adventure and driven by a pitch-perfect voice, this middle grade debut from Nina Varela is about one tween forging new friendships, fighting nightmarish monsters, and importantly, figuring out who she is and who she ultimately wishes to be.
"Juniper Harvey is a heartwarming and hilarious journey across worlds that will prime readers for their own adventures."
—Kwame Mbalia, New York Times bestselling author of the Tristan Strong series
- "Juniper Harvey is a heartwarming and hilarious journey across worlds that will prime readers for their own adventures."—Kwame Mbalia, New York Times bestselling author of the Tristan Strong series
- “I am OBSESSED with Juniper. Her story is equal parts laugh-out-loud funny and achingly relatable. A fantasy adventure story for all ages, but especially for the misfits! Now go get obsessed with Juniper, too!”—Mark Oshiro, author of The Insiders
- "Nina Varela dazzles in her middle grade debut, mixing magic and mythology with the real world. A deeply heartfelt story that shows readers how friendship, bravery, and love can create the best kind of heroes."—Karen Strong, author of Eden's Everdark
- “This bright start to a Greek mythology–inspired fantasy series blazes with intense, vibrant imagery and crackles with lively, humorous character dynamics…moments of levity balance the suspenseful drama of a world facing impending peril and the sensitive exploration of June’s sexuality, anxiety, and loneliness….Vivid and mythical.”—Kirkus Reviews, starred
- "An excellent heroine in a story that stands out from the middle-grade fantasy crowd."—Booklist
- “Juniper is a little shy, a little quiet, and a little out of place no matter how hard she tries. That all changes when a princess wakes her up at swordpoint, demanding to know how to get home. Along with some newfound friends, Juniper and Princess Galatea race to figure out a prophecy that could save or destroy Galatea’s home. Full of magic and monsters, a daring quest, and troublesome gods, this book is exciting! In the face of danger, Juniper discovers bravery, wisdom, and the magic of friendship. Funny and tender, with a touch of romance, this is a delightful book.”—Gibson's Bookstore (Concord, NH)
- On Sale
- Feb 14, 2023
- Page Count
- 320 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers