Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $19.99 $24.99 CAD
- ebook $13.99 $17.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around April 14, 2004. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
The British Empire was the largest in all history: the nearest thing to global domination ever achieved. The world we know today is in large measure the product of Britain’s Age of Empire. The global spread of capitalism, telecommunications, the English language, and institutions of representative government — all these can be traced back to the extraordinary expansion of Britain’s economy, population and culture from the seventeenth century until the mid-twentieth. On a vast and vividly colored canvas, Empire shows how the British Empire acted as midwife to modernity.
Displaying the originality and rigor that have made Niall Ferguson one of the world’s foremost historians, Empire is a dazzling tour de force — a remarkable reappraisal of the prizes and pitfalls of global empire.
- A New York Times Notable Book
- "Scrupulous scholarship [and] a rattling good tale."—Wall Street Journal
- "A concise and lucid exposition...Popular history at its best."—Washington Post
- "Ferguson...is a wonderfully fluent writer, weaving telling details and vivid anecdotes seamlessly into his narrative."—New York Times
- "An entertaining, engaging romp through four centuries of British imperialism."—Los Angeles Times
- "Fluently written, engaging...Empire is a model of how to do popular history."—The Economist
- On Sale
- Apr 14, 2004
- Page Count
- 400 pages
- Basic Books