By Mike Evans
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around November 1, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Nautilus Book Awards' Better Books for a Better World | Axiom Business Book Award Winner
GrubHub founder Mike Evans reveals the inside story of how he grew a multibillion-dollar behemoth that changed the way we eat.
GrubHub’s journey from Mike’s bedroom to Wall Street doesn’t fit into how business schools teach entrepreneurship. In Hangry, he details step-by-step the grind of building an innovative business, with each chapter including sharp lessons for entrepreneurs and startups that Mike learned on the fly as he piloted GrubHub by the seat of his pants. Hangry reveals a decade of eighty-hour work weeks, detailed steps of how Mike garnered his first customers, his hunt for financing dollars, cliffhanger acquisitions, the near collapse of his marriage, a brutally difficult merger, and a pair of tumultuous quit/unquit moments, all to steer the company to become one of the most successful startups in the world. With a razor-sharp wit, Mike reveals hard-won truths about how startups succeed—and even harder-won truths about how startups fail.
Shocking everyone, at the pinnacle of startup success, Mike leaves it all behind, quitting the company he started to bike across the United States in search of balance. But eventually, the grand vistas of America bring the lessons of the past into focus, driving the realization that for entrepreneurs a hunger for success doesn’t end, and he starts another company, even more ambitious than the first.
“GrubHub cofounder [Mike Evans’] illuminating debut, an account of how the food delivery service grew from a scrappy start-up to a multibillion-dollar company. Evans is frank about the challenges he faced as the company grew…This punchy memoir delivers.”
- “A page-turning, lesson-rich account of how—and how not—to build a business empire.”—Kirkus
- "Hangry will find an eager audience among business professionals and general readers who enjoy a peek behind the scenes of business-world celebrities."—Booklist
- “A lovely and impassioned book, full of insights for anyone trying to extract the very best out of people. . . .This is a book about the awful grind of building a startup.”—Wall Street Journal
- "Do you enjoy a little entertainment from the business books you consume? Whet your appetite with Hangry. Written by Mike Evans, the innovator behind GrubHub, Hangry spells out real-world tips for building a startup. As the saying goes, the school of hard knocks is the best way to learn. But you can skip some of the jostling by learning from Evans’ lessons. Who knows? You might just end up unleashing a unicorn with your next brilliant idea."—Forbes
- "Evans exposes the trials and tribulations of starting a business as an entrepreneur with a heart, impressive writing chops, and a talent for narration." —Library Journal
- "In one of the truest portrayals of startup life I've ever read, Hangry lays out the painful-but-true story of the founding of GrubHub. But unlike most self-aggrandizing and chest-pounding entrepreneurial memoirs, company founder Mike Evans is brutally honest about how it really went down; the uncertainty, the disappointments, and his continuous struggle to keep a growing company true to its original vision. But it is more than just a business book—it's a personal journey as well. Hangry is right up there with ShoeDog for being one of the most honest and vulnerable depictions of what really goes into building a business."—Marc Randolph, co-founder of Netflix and author of That Will Never Work
- “Mike Evans changed the way we eat dinner, and in Hangry, he shows us that it’s possible to transform a passion into a massive success. Mike’s riveting story shares the exciting highs and brutal lows of building a company from scratch. This is one of the most enjoyable and informative business books I’ve ever read.”—Ryan Serhant, star of Bravo’s Million Dollar Listing New York and National Bestselling author of Sell It Like Serhant
- On Sale
- Nov 1, 2022
- Page Count
- 256 pages
- Legacy Lit