Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Read by Erin Moon
Formats and Prices
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
- ebook $14.99
- Hardcover $28.00
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around July 20, 2021. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
A "gorgeously written and atmospheric thriller" following a woman on a long-awaited visit to a mountain arts retreat—where she soon finds herself trapped among strangers and in a deadly race to survive (Robyn Harding).
“Magnificently absorbing and haunting . . . With a dabble each of Hitchcock thriller, cozy mystery, and domestic noir, The Retreat offers a terrifyingly fun read.” —Amy Stuart, author of Still Water
She came looking for inspiration.
Instead, disaster strikes.
But when an avalanche strikes, Maeve finds herself trapped with six other guests. They’ve lost all power, phone service, heat, and the road back to town. At first, there’s a sense of camaraderie—the fire is warm, the freezer well-stocked. But as the days pass and the storm rages on outside, tensions start to run high. Help is coming, so they just have to hold on, right?
Then the first guest meets an unspeakable death.
Followed by another.
Soon Maeve must admit how little she knows about these strangers . . . and how useless a locked door is if the darkness is already inside.
- “A magnificently absorbing and haunting novel. . . . De Mariaffi’s spare yet deeply rich prose renders the isolation and claustrophobia of the mountains downright palpable. With a dabble each of Hitchcock thriller, cozy mystery, and domestic noir, The Retreat offers readers a most thrilling setup followed by a galloping sprint to the final page. What a terrifyingly fun read.”—Amy Stuart, author of Still Water
- “A gorgeously written atmospheric thriller with hidden depths, The Retreat will have readers racing through the pages, trying to decide who to trust, until the chilling finale.”—Robyn Harding, internationally bestselling author of The Swap
“Take a group of artists, ambition, isolation, and violence, and add a twist of the coldest, snowiest winter you’ve ever known, and you’ll arrive at The Retreat. Yet de Mariaffi’s heart-stopping thriller is powered by more than suspense—Maeve, her resourceful main character, is a mother and dancer piecing her life together after an abusive marriage, and Maeve’s journey through the novel’s danger and betrayals becomes a genuine act of grace.”
—Maria Hummel, author of the Reese’s Book Club x Hello Sunshine pick Still Lives
“This vivid, immersive story had me jumping at shadows. The isolated setting, the tension between the characters, the sense of danger unravelling in a place there is no escape from. Suspenseful and atmospheric, it will keep you questioning which is the biggest threat - nature or people, outside or in.”
—Helen Cooper, author of The Downstairs Neighbor
- “Elisabeth de Mariaffi delivers the requisite heart-in-mouth moments of pure paranoia, but she balances these thrills with shrewd character studies and the odd nugget of wisdom.”—New York Times Book Review, on The Devil You Know
- “Magnificent and daring . . . A gripping page-turner on one hand, The Devil You Know is also literary in its unwavering focus on the complex portrayal of the psychology of its main character, and in its illumination of broader issues around violence against women.”—Los Angeles Review of Books, on The Devil You Know
- On Sale
- Jul 20, 2021
- Hachette Audio