Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 19, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
K2 O’Hero is a seemingly ordinary boy—after all, he and his twin sister, Izzabird, have been sworn to keep their family's Magical history a secret. Not even their infuriating stepsiblings, Theo and Mabel, know that Magic exists. They believe K2 to be the most hopeless person they have ever known.
But K2 has a secret gift: He draws maps of worlds that are beyond the wildest imaginations. Worlds with six hundred moons, burning rivers, and dark, twisty jungles alive with plants that hunt by the smell of fear. But what K2 doesn’t know is that the maps he draws are real.
When their baby sister, Annipeck, is kidnapped, the warring stepsiblings will have to use K2’s gift to find a crossing point into one of those worlds and embark on a daring rescue mission.
- “Wild worldbuilding and the colorful cast will delight.”—Kirkus Reviews
- “[T]his boisterous series launch…proves chaotically fun.”—Publishers Weekly
UK Reviews for Which Way to Anywhere
"A joyously anarchic story which addresses the theme of childhood loss with real psychological acuity. And at the heart of this modern fantasy a very modern message: that those who appear to be worlds apart often have more in common than they assume."—The Telegraph (UK)
- "A witty, rip-roaring battle of good and evil, secrets and lies, monsters and magic ensues, illustrated with Cowell's signature black and white sketches, and underpinned by an ecological message. FAB-U-LOUS."—Sally Morris, The Daily Mail (UK)
- "A pacey, thrill-packed, highly imaginative new series that should pull in the most reluctant readers."—The Times Children’s Book of the Week (UK)
- "This rollicking story never lets up in energy, inventiveness and almost excessive good humour... Started 25 years ago, this story now forms the cornerstone for what looks likely to be yet another wildly popular series still to come."—Books for Keeps (UK)
- "[T]his thrilling, past-paced adventure will whisk you away on a fascinating journey of imagination."—The Week Junior (UK)
Praise for The Wizards of Once:"A rollicking adventure tale and coming-of-age story rolled into one enjoyable package... Readers will fall in love with the imaginative worldbuilding and humorous dialogue and asides... A delightful magical romp."—Kirkus
- "A clever and fresh new series.... Cowell fans will be elated to have a new world to get to know, and they'll welcome the author's familiar writing style and humor."—BCCB
- "The tongue-in-cheek voice combines with scribbly b&w interior illustrations...to sustain a sense of wonder and mayhem from start to finish. Cowell skillfully mixes adventure with silliness in a satisfying story."—Publishers Weekly
- "Cowell crafts two believable and lovable main characters... A strong new series starter by a bestselling author."—School Library Journal
- "The first in a series, this book will delight and engage readers of fantasy both young and old."—School Library Connection
- "The first volume of a new series by author and illustrator of the How to Train Your Dragon series is an event.... Funny, thoughtful and surprisingly wise and lively, this is another coup from Cowell."—The Sunday Times (UK)
- "A new fantasy world fizzing with evil, magic, Iron Age history, laugh-out-loud jokes and a huge cast of memorable characters. Another bestseller is born."—The Daily Mail (UK)
- "The detail of Cowell's world is a delight....This one will run and run."—The Observer (UK)
- "One of the most eagerly awaited children's books of the year, this magical adventure is also one of the most spellbinding. Enormously entertaining and satisfying, it's narrated and illustrated with tangible energy and verve. The fantasy world and quest-driven plot are a triumph."—The Bookseller (UK)
- On Sale
- Sep 19, 2023
- Page Count
- 528 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers