Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $24.99 $32.49 CAD
- ebook $12.99 $16.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 4, 2018. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
From atrocities that occurred before the establishment of New York’s police force in 1845 through the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 2001 to the present day, this chronological visual history is an insider’s look at more than 80 real-life crimes that shocked the nation, from arson to gangland murders, robberies, serial killers, bombings, and kidnappings, including:
- Architect Stanford White’s fatal shooting at Madison Square Garden over his deflowering of a teenage chorus girl.
- The anarchist bombing of Wall Street in 1920, which killed 39 people and injured hundreds more with flying shrapnel.
- Kitty Genovese’s 1964 senseless stabbing, famously witnessed by dozen of bystanders who did not intervene.
- Robert Chambers, the handsome, wealthy ex-Choate student, who murdered Jennifer Levin in Central Park, called “The Preppy Murder Case.”
- Son of Sam, a serial killer who eluded police for months while terrorizing the city, was finally apprehended through a simple parking ticket.
- "New York characters galore, both good guys and gangsters, leap from the pages."—The New York Times
- "An extensive buffet of New York City's real crime history, served up in spicy bite-sized portions."—Raymond W. Kelly, Former NYC Police Commissioner
- "This is one of The Post's favorite books...a fascinating look at some of the more infamous crimes."—The New York Post
- "Fact rivals fiction in this gritty, well-researched collection, an insiders' look at more than 175 years of New York's most infamous crimes. The authors - NYPD Lieutenant Bernand Whalen, crime reporter Philip Messing and retired Detective, Robert Mladinich -- have detailed a history of many of the city's most notorious and zaniest capers."—Nicholas Pileggi, author of the bestsellers Casino and Wiseguy
- "True-crime buffs should be sated by this morbid peek into the past."—The Village Voice
- On Sale
- Sep 4, 2018
- Page Count
- 320 pages
- Black Dog & Leventhal