Formats and Prices
“Most people recognize the value of curiosity, but few know how to unleash it. Seek will help you close the gap between awareness and action. Scott Shigeoka’s thirst for understanding and connection is contagious, and his book is a timely bridge for our divided world.” ―Adam Grant, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Think Again and Hidden Potential, and host of the TED podcast Re:ThinkingOpen your mind, heal your relationships, and connect across divides with this "energizing, creative, and exciting" (Gretchen Rubin) approach to deep curiosity from an internationally-recognized curiosity expert—perfect for readers of Atlas of the Heart and Talking to Strangers.
Did you know that curiosity is your superpower? It’s no secret that division, loneliness, and polarization are on the rise—to catastrophic impact on our personal lives. While we often think of curiosity as a personality trait, internationally-recognized curiosity expert Scott Shigeoka knows that it’s actually the most potent tool we have to bridge our differences and heal relationships: From political blow-ups to age divides at work; religious differences to languishing friendships; gun rights to gender rights.
In Seek, Shigeoka blends cutting edge research on curiosity with wisdom from years of grassroots community work and the stories of people living at the threshold of deep curiosity—ancient wayfinders in the Pacific Ocean, Catholic nuns and Millennial seekers sharing a convent, a wildland firefighter in Montana, and more—as he takes readers on a journey to understand the power of deep curiosity.
With the support of Shigoeka’s four-phase DIVE model, readers will learn to…
- Detach — Let go of their ABCs (assumptions, biases, certainty),
- Intend — Prepare their mindset and setting,
- Value — See the dignity of every person, including themselves,
- Embrace — Welcome the hard times in their life,
With electric vulnerability, thoughtful storytelling, and actionable tools, Seek calls each of us to stop turning away from what is unfamiliar, uncomfortable or unknown and, instead, embrace our power to seek.
"We've been hiding from each other for far too long. Seek offers us an empathic, practical and heartfelt road map forward." ―Seth Godin, author of The Song of Significance
“Most people recognize the value of curiosity, but few know how to embrace and unleash it. SEEK will help you close the gap between awareness and action. Scott Shigeoka’s thirst for understanding and connection is contagious, and his book is a timely bridge for our divided world.”—Adam Grant, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Think Again and Hidden Potential, and host of the TED podcast Re:Thinking
- "Within the large subject of happiness, curiosity is such an energizing, creative, and exciting topic to explore. Scott Keoni Shigeoka is the perfect person to tackle this subject, and I can’t wait to read this book."—Gretchen Rubin, New York Times bestselling author of The Happiness Project and The Four Tendencies
- "We've been hiding from each other for far too long. Scott's book offers us an empathic, practical and heartfelt road map forward."—Seth Godin, author of The Song of Significance
- "Grounded in science and stories, Scott Shigeoka's exploration of curiosity is full of energy and wisdom. I have no doubt his methodology will offer a path of healing for many."—Jud Brewer MD PhD, New York Times bestselling author of Unwinding Anxiety and director of research and innovation at Brown University’s Mindfulness Center
- "Scott Shigeoka is one of the world’s leading voices on bridging differences. In our lonely, polarized world, Seek couldn’t come at a better time."—Adam Smiley Poswolsky, bestselling author of The Quarter-Life Breakthrough and Friendship in the Age of Loneliness
- "Few attributes are as vital to leadership, flourishing and success as curiosity. Through wit, wisdom, and science, Scott Shigeoka provides a practical guide to master the art and skill of this essential human attribute."—Ethan Kross PhD, bestselling author of Chatter and director of the Self-Control and Emotion Laboratory at the University of Michigan
- "This fascinating and well-written book does an amazing job of exploring the nature of curiosity and how opening our hearts and minds to the unknown can transform our lives."—Kristin Neff, PhD, bestselling author of Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind To Yourself
- “We are all hungering for more curiosity, and there is no more illuminating guide to our quest for what inspires than Scott Shigeoka. In this mind opening treatment of what we know about curiosity, Shigeoka blends stories, science, and the wisdom of lived experience to move us to seek what is mysterious in life, and grow in that adventure.”—Dacher Keltner, Professor of Psychology at UC Berkeley and author of Awe: The New Science of Everyday Wonder and How it Can Transform Your Life
- "An energetic case for the power of openness in an era characterized by social isolation and echo chambers."—Publishers Weekly
- On Sale
- Nov 14, 2023
- Page Count
- 304 pages