Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
"A Problem from Hell"
America and the Age of Genocide
Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $22.99 $28.99 CAD
- ebook $15.99 $20.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around December 24, 2013. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
In her prizewinning examination of the last century of American history, Samantha Power asks the haunting question: Why do American leaders who vow "never again" repeatedly fail to stop genocide?
Power, a professor at the Harvard Kennedy School and the former US Ambassador to the United Nations, draws upon exclusive interviews with Washington's top policymakers, thousands of declassified documents, and her own reporting from modern killing fields to provide the answer. "A Problem from Hell" shows how decent Americans inside and outside government refused to get involved despite chilling warnings, and tells the stories of the courageous Americans who risked their careers and lives in an effort to get the United States to act.
A modern classic and "an angry, brilliant, fiercely useful, absolutely essential book" (New Republic), "A Problem from Hell" has forever reshaped debates about American foreign policy.
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize
Winner of the Robert F. Kennedy Book Award
Winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award
Winner of the J. Anthony Lukas Book Prize
Winner of the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award
Winner of the Raphael Lemkin Award
- "Magisterial."—New Yorker
- "An angry, brilliant, fiercely useful, absolutely essential book."—The New Republic
- "Disturbing...engaging and well written...will likely become the standard text on genocide prevention."—Foreign Affairs
- "Forceful.... Power tells this long, sorry history with great clarity and vividness."—Washington Post
- "Amazingly persuasive."—New York Review of Books
- "Bracing.... Power [is] the new conscience of the U.S. foreign-policy establishment."—Time
- On Sale
- Dec 24, 2013
- Page Count
- 656 pages
- Basic Books