By Lucy Holland
Formats and Prices
Britain, 60AD. Hoping to save her lover, her land, and her people from the Romans, Herla makes a desperate pact with the king of the Otherworld. But years pass unheeded in his realm, and she escapes to find everyone she loved long dead. Cursed to wield his blade, she becomes Lord of the Hunt. And for centuries, she rides, leading her immortal warriors and reaping wanderers’ souls. Until the night she meets a woman on a bloody battlefield—a Saxon queen with ice-blue eyes.
Queen Æthelburg of Wessex is a proven fighter. But when she leads her forces to disaster in battle, her husband’s court turns against her. Yet King Ine needs Æthel more than ever. Something dark and dangerous is at work in the Wessex court. His own brother seeks to usurp him. And their only hope is the magic in Ine’s bloodline that’s lain dormant since ancient days.
The moment she and Æthel meet, Herla knows it’s no coincidence. The dead kings are waking. The Otherworld seeks to rise, to bring the people of Britain under its dominion. And as Herla and Æthel grow closer, Herla must find her humanity—and a way to break the curse—before it’s too late.
- "A beautiful reimagining of an old British folklore ballad, Sistersong weaves a captivating spell of myth and magic around the reader. Lucy Holland's lyrical prose and powerful storytelling will lure you into an eerie, intriguing world in which enemies lurk unseen, the threat of betrayal hangs heavy and sisterly loyalties are tested to their limit."—Jennifer Saint, author of Ariadne, on Sistersong
- "From its opening pages, Sistersong transports you to a time period often overlooked, and spins a tale of family, loyalty, and the triumph of becoming the person you were always meant to be. I was utterly captivated from the beginning to the tragic, bittersweet end."—Genevieve Gornichec, author of The Witch's Heart, on Sistersong
- "Sistersong truly reads like a ballad—beautiful and mournful, a melody that sticks in your head. An absolutely stunning book."—Hannah Whitten, author of For the Wolf, on Sistersong
- “Sistersong is a marvelous tale, gracefully told in language as beautiful as the song that inspired it. It's a celebration of the power of sisterhood, the strength of earth magic, and the triumph, in the end, of fidelity to both. I fell in love with all three siblings, and I think you will, too!”—Louisa Morgan, author of A Secret History of Witches, on Sistersong
“Fans of folkloric fantasy will be spellbound.”—Publishers Weekly on Sistersong
- "A gory, gripping and magically mythic tale of love and hatred, loyalty and betrayal."—Daily Mail on Sistersong
“An enthralling fantasy. ”—Booklist on Sistersong
- "Sistersong is a fresh and gripping retelling of an ancient tale. Set in a realistic, gritty world, the nuanced, compelling characters are the heart of this story about family, love, loyalty and identity. I loved it."—John Gwynne, author of The Shadow of the Gods, on Sistersong
- "Astonishing!"—Ellen Kushner, author of Swordspoint, on Sistersong
- "Brilliantly written and full of memorable characters . . . If you like poetic reimaginings of mythology, such as Madeline Miller’s Circe and The Song of Achilles, you need to make sure to pick up Sistersong."—Grimdark Magazine on Sistersong
- "A masterpiece of storytelling . . . a beautiful story of the complex and loving relationship between three sisters and how their relationship and strength influenced the lives of those around them."—TheBookBag on Sistersong
“Magical, beautiful and heartbreaking. Sistersong keeps you turning the pages until the thrilling conclusion”.—Greer Macallister, author of Scorpica and The Magician’s Lie on Sistersong
- "Beautifully written and with a keen eye for historical detail, Sistersong demonstrates the power of these old familiar ballads when they are opened up to new perspectives."—TheFantasyHive on Sistersong
- On Sale
- Mar 19, 2024
- Page Count
- 416 pages