Read by Jill, PhD Stoddard, PhD
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 19, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Dr. Jill Stoddard is a recovered imposter. For years, she was convinced that the only reason she was accepted into a competitive grad school program was because her father knew the program director. Dr. Stoddard isn't alone in this: deep down, the majority of successful people question their professional legitimacy a good amount of the time.
Why do we do this, and how can we stop? Although she's in recovery, Dr. Stoddard still struggles with feelings of imposterism. She works through them with psychological flexibility, the ability to be present with all thoughts, emotions, physical sensations, and urges, fully and without defense, while making conscious, deliberate choices based on what deeply matters to a person. Essentially, we're not attempting to change the substance of the thoughts and feelings that naturally occur to us; instead, we change the way we relate to those thoughts and feelings, so we aren't caught up in constant battle to control them.
Throughout Imposter No More, Dr. Stoddard lays the groundwork for understanding the imposter phenomenon; she outlines the traps professionals often fall into regarding their imposter feelings, and provides actionable steps for cultivating psychological flexibility to be able to choose bold career moves despite self-doubt and imposterism.
- "Imposter syndrome has been a buzz word of late, particularly when it comes to women in the workplace. Stoddard is masterful at using her extensive training as a psychologist to address the why of impostor feelings while providing a blame-free practical guide to claim our power and confidence. This is a beautiful book."—Eve Rodsky, best-selling author of Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (and More Life to Live) and Find Your Unicorn Space: Reclaim Your Creative Life in a Too-Busy World
- "Do I really deserve this promotion more than my colleague? Can other moms tell I am more of a hot mess than everyone else? Am I capable of coming through the way my boss expects me to? Any person who has ever been plagued with feelings of self-doubt needs this read. Imposter No More helps us figure out what triggers this crippling negativity and how to overcome it so that we can live a truly more confident and courageous life."—Ericka Sóuter, frequent Good Morning America contributor and author of How to Have a Kid and a Life: A Survival Guide
- "Yikes -- am I a blurb imposter? I truly love the revelations that come fast and thick in this book, starting with: Whatever you worry you're not actually good at is what you actually care about. That was just the first of the jaw-droppers, soul-savers, life-changers. Plenty more where that came from!"—Lenore Skenazy, author of Free-Range Kids: How Parents and Teachers Can Let Go and Let Grow, and president of Let Grow
- "If you've ever questioned your competence, been held back by insecurity, or over-worked to prove yourself, this book is a must read. Stoddard offers a fresh perspective on the imposter experience with empowering tools for cultivating your dream career. You will no longer play small after reading this book."—Nir Eyal, best-selling author of Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
- "Imposter No More is relatable and engaging, offering practical suggestions to help readers overcome their self-doubt and build their confidence. Stoddard deftly blends stories and science to provide actionable tips for conquering insecurity at work and at home."—Katy Milkman, author of the Wall Street Journal Bestseller How to Change
- "Want to shake off imposter thoughts so you can write the book you were meant to write? Imposter No More shows you exactly how to do it. It's highly practical, very readable, and deeply hopeful."—Jennie Nash, CEO of Author Accelerator and author of Blueprint for a Book: Build Your Novel from the Inside Out and Blueprint for a Nonfiction Book: Plan and Pitch Your Big Idea.
- "Now, more than perhaps ever, we expend precious time and energy on behaviors that are self-defeating and that sew doubt in our own capabilities. Imposter No More is your handbook to taking back control at work and in life and get back to building."—Patrick J. McGinnis, creator of the term FOMO and author of Fear of Missing Out: Practical Decision-Making in a World of Overwhelming Choice and The 10% Entrepreneur: Live Your Startup Dream Without Quitting Your Day Job
- On Sale
- Sep 19, 2023
- Hachette Audio