Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $17.99 $22.99 CAD
- ebook $4.99 $6.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 13, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
"Vibrant, explosive, deliciously dangerous, and impossibly fun." —Tasha Suri
"A brilliant alchemical recipe!" —Olivia Atwater
"I loved getting lost in this dazzling debut." —Shannon Chakraborty
A wickedly entertaining fantasy debut bursting with wild magic, chaotic sword-fighting street gangs, brazen flirting, malevolent harpies, and one defiant alchemist.
Siyon Velo, Dockside brat turned petty alchemist, scrapes a living hopping between the planes to harvest ingredients for the city’s alchemists. But when Siyon accidentally commits an act of impossible magic, he’s catapulted into the limelight—which is a bad place to be when the planes start lurching out of alignment, threatening to send the city into the sea.
It will take a miracle to save Bezim. Good thing Siyon has pulled off the impossible before. Now he just has to master it.
The Burnished City
- "Very rarely do I read a fantasy city so wondrously realized as Bezim. From the razor-sharp social climbing to the glimmering alchemist's library to the hidden realms beneath it all, I loved getting lost in this dazzling debut." —Shannon Chakraborty, author of The City of Brass
- "A delightful and fast-paced ride full of flashy swordplay, high society, and thrilling magic. Reading Notorious Sorcerer made me feel like I was ten years old again and discovering adventure fantasy for the first time. Sheer, glorious fun!"—Freya Marske, author of A Marvellous Light
- "A brilliant alchemical recipe! Notorious Sorcerer is a delicious melange of my favourite things, remixing historical magic with class consciousness. I couldn't put it down."—Olivia Atwater, author of Half A Soul
- “Notorious Sorcerer feels like a dream you don’t want to wake from, with beautiful and broken people chasing elusive magic along a knife’s edge in a beautiful and broken city. I devoured it and want more!"—Melissa Caruso, author of The Tethered Mage
- "Notorious Sorcerer has everything I want in a fantasy novel: a picaresque hero to make my heart sing, a refreshingly new kind of magic, and a waggish sense of humor. If you like a healthy dollop of rollicking fun with your epic fantasy, this is the book for you."—Megan Bannen, author of The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy
- "Notorious Sorcerer is a real delight, with compelling characters and wonderful worldbuilding that sucks the reader in and keeps them engaged from beginning to end."—Mike Brooks, author of The Black Coast
- “Notorious Sorcerer is a firework of a fantasy novel: vibrant, explosive, deliciously dangerous, and impossibly fun. A must-read debut.”—Tasha Suri, author of The Jasmine Throne
- "[An] energetic epic fantasy debut...the witty prose, endearing characters, and sense of playful whimsy throughout keep the pages turning. This is a charmer." —Publishers Weekly
- "Intricate and fascinating — I would eagerly read more tales of the city of Bezim."—Marie Brennan, author of The Memoirs of Lady Trent series
- "Evans’s debut is a high fantasy full of excellent worldbuilding, with an enjoyable magic system and strong characters."—Library Journal
- "Notorious Sorcerer’s unique magic system adds to this delightful fantasy setting, leaving readers eagerly anticipating the next book in the Burnished City series."—Booklist
- "A whimsical tale...Set in an expansive magical world that crosses multiple planes of existence, Notorious Sorcerer doesn’t get bogged down in heavy exposition or take itself too seriously, instead trusting its readers to both keep up with its fast-paced story and laugh while they do it."—Paste Magazine
- "Davinia Evans' debut fantasy deploys genre tropes with delirious glee and builds a rich and fascinating world readers will be eager to return to."—BookPage
- On Sale
- Sep 13, 2022
- Page Count
- 448 pages