Formats and Prices
1968: Actress Gemma Turner once dreamed of stardom. Unfortunately, she’s on the cusp of slipping into obscurity. When she’s offered the lead in a radical new horror film, Gemma believes her luck has finally changed. But L’Etrange Lune’s set is not what she expected. The director is eccentric, and the script doesn’t make sense.
Gemma is determined to make this work. It’s her last chance to achieve her dream—but that dream is about to derail her life. One night, between the shadows of an alleyway, Gemma disappears on set and is never seen again. Yet, Gemma is still alive. She’s been transported into the film and the script—and the monsters within it—are coming to life. She must play her role perfectly if she hopes to survive.
2015: Gemma Turner’s disappearance is one of film history’s greatest mysteries—one that’s haunted film student Christopher Kent ever since he saw his first screening of L’Etrange Lune. The screenings only happen once a decade and each time there is new, impossible footage of Gemma long after she vanished. Desperate to discover the truth, Christopher risks losing himself. He’ll have to outrun the cursed legacy of the film—or become trapped by it forever.
For more from Constance Sayers, check out:
A Witch in Time
The Ladies of the Secret Circus
- "Be warned! The Star and the Strange Moon will cast its spell on you. Constance Sayers has created a book of worlds within worlds. Like the main characters, the reader is irresistibly drawn into the dangerous intrigue and dark truth at the heart of the story. Highly recommended!"—Paula Brackston, New York Times bestselling author
- "At once a sweeping tale of dark magic, artistic obsession, and a love unbound from the limits of time, The Star and the Strange Moon captivates with lush prose and moments of poignant, heartbreaking beauty. A soaring celebration of female agency and the power of free will, this is Constance Sayers at her finest."—Paulette Kennedy, bestselling author of The Witch of Tin Mountain
- "A wonderfully creepy tale of ambition, loss, and the lure of an unsolved mystery...Sayers masterfully weaves a tale of multigenerational secrets, creating an enticing dance between past and present that will keep readers on edge. The psychological depth Sayers brings to the core mystery invites comparisons to Gillian Flynn." —Publishers Weekly
- "Obsession and dark magic collide in this labyrinthine blending of horror, fantasy, romance, and a touch of mystery." —Kirkus
- “Ambitious and teeming with magic, Sayers creates a fascinating mix of art, The Belle Époque, and more than a little murder.” —Erika Swyler, author of The Book of Speculation on The Ladies of the Secret Circus
- "A spellbinding historical fantasy....Fans of Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus will love this page-turning story of dark magic, star-crossed love, and familial sacrifice."—Publishers Weekly (starred review) on The Ladies of the Secret Circus
- "At times decadent and macabre, The Ladies of the Secret Circus is a mesmerizing tale of love, treachery, and depraved magic percolating through four generations of Cabot women."—Luanne G. Smith, author of The Vine Witch on The Ladies of the Secret Circus
- "A captivating tapestry of a tale, A Witch in Time weaves together the supernatural, historical fiction, and a humorous present day heroine, while traveling the macabre brambles of a dark curse-through lifetimes-with a compass to the heart."—Gwendolyn Womack, bestselling author of The Fortune Teller & The Time Collector on A Witch in Time
- "Fresh and original... a narrative rich in historical detail, brightened by flashes of humor, and filled with colorful characters and fascinating settings. A most rewarding read!"—Louisa Morgan, author of A Secret History of Witches on A Witch in Time
- "A sweeping story of magical, star-crossed love, as glamorous as it is romantic. Prepare to be dazzled."—Alma Katsu, author of The Hunger on A Witch in Time
- "Fans of Deborah Harkness will devour this page-turning tale of love, reincarnation, and dark magic. A highly unique and enjoyable read!"—Hester Fox, author of The Witch of Willow Hall on A Witch in Time
- "Sayers traverses time periods effortlessly with lush, graceful descriptions....This spiraling narrative will appeal to fans of historical fiction and complicated love stories ."—Publishers Weekly on A Witch in Time
- "With lush historical details and a wicked sense of humor, A Witch in Time fully immerses the reader in the story of Helen and her fated demon, unpacked like nesting dolls across time and lives, fortune and chance. From Belle Epoque France to modern-day D.C., from worlds pastoral, decadent, flashy to commercial, Sayers weaves a spell of love, lust and magic to create a page-turner like no other. All the thrill of a Discovery of Witches, with all the mystery and epic romance of Richard Matheson's classic Somewhere in Time."—Steph Post, author of Miraculum on A Witch in Time
- On Sale
- Apr 16, 2024
- Page Count
- 480 pages