Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
By Ann Leckie
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $29.00 $37.00 CAD
- ebook $14.99 $19.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
Also available from:
The mystery of a missing translator sets three lives on a collision course that will have a ripple effect across the stars in this powerful novel from a Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke award-winning author.
"There are few who write science fiction like Ann Leckie can. There are few who ever could." —John Scalzi
But Qven rebels. And in doing so, their path collides with those of two others. Enae, a reluctant diplomat whose dead grandmaman has left hir an impossible task as an inheritance: hunting down a fugitive who has been missing for over 200 years. And Reet, an adopted mechanic who is increasingly desperate to learn about his genetic roots—or anything that might explain why he operates so differently from those around him.
As a Conclave of the various species approaches—and the long-standing treaty between the humans and the Presger is on the line—the decisions of all three will have ripple effects across the stars.
Masterfully merging space adventure and mystery, and a poignant exploration about relationships and belonging, Translation State is a triumphant new standalone story set in the celebrated Imperial Radch universe.
"Leckie’s humane, emotionally intelligent, and deeply perceptive writing makes this tautly plotted adventure feel fundamentally true while also offering longtime fans a much anticipated glimpse into the Radch’s most mysterious species. Readers will be thrilled." —Publishers Weekly (starred review)
"Another of Leckie’s beautiful mergings of the political, philosophical, and personal." —Kirkus (starred review)
- "Leckie’s humane, emotionally intelligent, and deeply perceptive writing makes this tautly plotted adventure feel fundamentally true while also offering longtime fans a much anticipated glimpse into the Radch’s most mysterious species. Readers will be thrilled."—Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
- "Another of Leckie’s beautiful mergings of the political, philosophical, and personal."—Kirkus (Starred Review)
- "Any SF reader who loves political skullduggery told through fascinating and empathetic characters will be captivated by Leckie’s latest foray into the Imperial Radch in all its complexity and corruption. Highly recommended."—Library Journal (Starred Review)
- "Leckie's ability to seamlessly weave in alternate conceptions of gender, identity, and alien experience remains as strong as ever, as does the propulsive and exciting tenor of her prose. An excellent addition to Leckie's already well-realized and often strange and exciting universe, this new novel is accessible, and essential, to new readers and old fans alike."—Booklist (Starred Review)
- "I don’t want to spoil anything, so will simply say that the plot always goes where it should but not always where you’d expect. Along the way, Leckie asks big questions about trauma, power, and secrets. She answers them, too….I’ll put my marker down now that this book will be on most of the award slates at the end of the year. It’ll be well-earned.Translation State shows off Leckie’s skills masterfully."—Locus
- "There are few who write science fiction like Ann Leckie can. There are few who ever could."—John Scalzi
- On Sale
- Jun 6, 2023
- Page Count
- 432 pages
Launch Event with Left Bank Books
Left Bank Books & Schlafly Public Library welcomes Hugo & Nebula Award-Winning St. Louis author Ann Leckie to discuss the return to the Imperial Radch universe in a staggering standalone novel Translation State at Schlafly Public Library on June 7th at 6pm! Join us for this LAUNCH EVENT to celebrate the release!
Schafly Public Library, St. Louis, MOMore information
How SF Writers Build Alien Minds: Ann Leckie and Adrian Tchaikovsky in Conversation
How does a science fiction author create an alien mind that is truly alien? Join two of the best-known contemporary science fiction authors, Ann Leckie and Adrian Tchaikovsky, for a conversation about the fascinating aliens they've created for their award-winning and bestselling books—and how the humans in those books interact with creatures so, well, alien.
VIRTUALRegister on Crowdcast