Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Walking with Sam
A Father, a Son, and Five Hundred Miles Across Spain
Formats and Prices
- ebook $14.99 $19.99 CAD
- Hardcover $28.00 $35.00 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around May 9, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
An intimate, funny, and poignant travel memoir following New York Times bestselling author and actor Andrew McCarthy as he walks the Camino de Santiago with his son Sam.
When Andrew McCarthy's eldest son began to take his first steps into adulthood, McCarthy found himself wishing time would slow down. Looking to create a more meaningful connection with Sam before he fled the nest, as well as recreate his own life-altering journey decades before, McCarthy decided the two of them should set out on a trek like few others: 500 miles across Spain's Camino de Santiago.
Over the course of the journey, the pair traversed an unforgiving landscape, having more honest conversations in five weeks than they'd had in the preceding two decades. Discussions of divorce, the trauma of school, McCarthy's difficult relationship with his own father, fame, and Flaming Hot Cheetos threatened to either derail their relationship or cement it. Walking With Sam captures this intimate, candid and hopeful expedition as the father son duo travel across the country and towards one another.
- "McCarthy shares exquisite details of their surroundings, providing historical context as they leave France’s Pyrenees, journey through Spain’s Basque Country, cross the areas of Pamplona, La Rioja, Leon, and Galicia, and end in Iberia a month later. Along the way, they face weather extremes, blisters, the love triangles of fellow pilgrims, and McCarthy’s own fears of being exposed to his son as deficient in his abilities and knowledge. The process of the two connecting over time is heartwarming and relatable. . . A sweet gem of a tale that will appeal to McCarthy fans and those who appreciate a challenging journey."—Library Journal
- “I greatly enjoyed this father-and-son saunter for its fractiousness and sulks, exasperation and blisters, and ultimately its harmony and resolution, proving the saying solvitur ambulando—‘it is solved by walking.’”—Paul Theroux
- "McCarthy’s depiction of the rewarding endeavor of walking the Camino with his son is both worthwhile and entertaining."—Booklist
- On Sale
- May 9, 2023
- Page Count
- 240 pages
- Grand Central Publishing