Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The Third Daughter
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $18.99 $23.99 CAD
- ebook $10.99 $13.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
Also available from:
For centuries, the citizens of Velle have waited for their New Maiden to return. The prophecy states she will appear as the third daughter of a third daughter. When the fabled child is finally born to Velle’s reigning queen all rejoice except for Elodie, the queen’s eldest child, who has lost her claim to the crown. The only way for Elodie to protect Velle is to retake the throne. To do so, she must debilitate the Third Daughter—her youngest sister, Brianne.
Desperate, Elodie purchases a sleeping potion from Sabine, who sells sadness. But the apothecary mistakenly sends the princess away with a vial of tears instead of a harmless sleeping brew. Sabine’s sadness is dangerously powerful, and Brianne slips into a slumber from which she will not wake. With the fates of their families and country hanging in the balance, Sabine and Elodie hurry to revive the Third Daughter while a slow-burning attraction between the two girls erupts in full force.
A must-read for fans of the BookTok sensations Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, Dance of Thieves by Mary E. Pearson, and These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong.
- “The Third Daughter is subtly vicious and achingly tender, with a charming cast and delightful twists to boot. In the queendom of Velle, divinity and royalty clash, romance and intrigue simmer, and betrayals abound—but at the novel’s gentle heart is a story about the healing magic of being known. This is Adrienne Tooley at her most powerful.”—Allison Saft, New York Times bestselling author of A Far Wilder Magic
- "The subtle magic and divided loyalties woven throughout build into a propulsive climax. The book asks what we'll do to achieve our goals and how we balance ambition with familial obligations and unexpected desires. Can't wait to see what the sequel brings!”—Bookseller, An Unlikely Story (Plainville, MA)
- "Spectacularly emotional and majestically dark, The Third Daughter is a glittering jewel of a novel certain to win over even the most hard-hearted readers."—Morgan Rhodes, New York Times bestselling author of the Falling Kingdoms series
- "Political intrigue and emotional intimacy balance on a knife's edge, teetering constantly, precariously between the two in this story of sisterhood, love, and duty. Elodie's journey held me captive in this stunning series starter and I cannot wait to see where she takes me next."—Courtney Gould, author of The Dead and the Dark
- "Emotionally gripping and devastating—I held my breath the whole way. Adrienne Tooley deftly weaves prophecy, mystery and intrigue into a deeply intimate story. I ached with Elodie and Sabine, and I utterly fell in love with this exquisite sapphic fantasy. I’m already yearning for the sequel!"—Leslie Vedder, author of The Bone Spindle
- "This sprawling fantasy features romance and charismatic, take-charge heroines."—Publishers Weekly
- On Sale
- Jul 18, 2023
- Page Count
- 320 pages
- Christy Ottaviano Books
About the Author
Adrienne Tooley is the author of Sweet & Bitter Magic as well as the Indie Next List selection Sofi and the Bone Song. The Third Daughter is, fittingly, her third novel. In addition to writing books, she is a singer-songwriter and has released several EPs which are available on Spotify & other streaming sites. Adrienne, her wife, and their dog live in Brooklyn.
On the Blog