Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around August 15, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
This inspiring exploration of the recent advances in depression research and treatment shares new methods that offer promising paths to wellness.
Breaking Through Depression explores how the anatomy of the brain and the biochemistry of nerve impulses play a major role in how we view ourselves and the world. Drawing from his long-term research, Dr. Philip W. Gold makes the case for depression arising at the intersection of genetic vulnerability with stressful, disturbing life experiences that get encoded in our emotional memory. Breaking Through Depression will delve into the interplay between our anatomy and our lived experiences as the key to understanding why there are such individual differences in how we make connections with others, deal with adversity, or recover from trauma. More importantly, Dr. Gold reveals the latest breakthroughs that can heal people struggling with depression, including:
- The FDA has fast-tracked Psilocybin and Ketamine as anti-depressant treatments, which cause immediate improvement in depressive symptoms.
- Low-energy lasers have been developed that can stimulate these areas directly and painlessly to relieve symptoms in treatment-resistant patients suffering from major depression.
- Scientists are developing genetically ‘thumbprinted' antidepressants that can be individually tailored to match a person's DNA increasing their effectiveness.
- Inflammation in the body and the brain is a prominent component of depressive illness, to the point that anti-inflammatory agents are useful in the treatment of depression.
- Incredible progress with gene therapy including a treatment overcoming the BDNF gene mutation that interferes with resiliency, promotes vulnerability to depression, and inhibits the capacity of antidepressants to work effectively.
- "In BREAKING THROUGH DEPRESSION, Philip Gold, a leading authority, offers a thorough, up-to-date, and upbeat introduction to current scientific thinking about mood disorders and their treatment. An important resource for patients and their families—and for anyone curious about progress in psychiatric research."—Peter D. Kramer, author of Death of the Great Man and Listening to Prozac
- "BREAKING THROUGH DEPRESSION is a masterpiece, written by a brilliant and compassionate scientist and clinician. It exquisitely delves into one of the most pervasive causes of misery in the world. The writing is beautiful, while the message is profound and humane. Those who suffer will be rewarded with a deep understanding of depression and newly available treatments, as well as with realistic hope."—George P. Chrousos, M.D. Former Chair Pediatrics at the Athens University Medical School National Academy of Medicine
- "Dr. Gold combines biological research and expertise in psychotherapy in a way that makes him the pre-eminent expert on depression in the world. BREAKING THROUGH DEPRESSION is highly approachable and erudite without being intimidating and is beautifully written. It is an unprecedented resource for those struggling with depression and for those trying to better understand depression in order to help friends and family members struggling with this dread disease. I recommend this stunning book with the highest levels of enthusiasm."—Julio Licinio, M.D. and Former Dean and Distinguished Professor of Neuroscience and Psychiatry at SUNY
- “Dr Philip Gold is an internationally distinguished psychiatrist, consummate clinician, and brilliant senior research scientist at the National Institutes of Health in Washington DC. In his masterful work, BREAKING THROUGH DEPRESSION, Dr Gold distils extensive clinical experience, personal insights, and the scientific accomplishments of a professional lifetime, to offer a lucid analysis of what it will take to better understand, treat, and ultimately to defeat what is today’s ‘cancer of the self’ – the growing and pervasive national scourge of depressive illness.”—Peter C. Whybrow, MD Emeritus Chief of the Semel Neuroscience Institute, UCLA, and author of A Mood Apart: Depression, Mania, and Other Afflictions of the Self
- On Sale
- Aug 15, 2023
- Page Count
- 272 pages