Illustrated by Carrie Shryock
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $18.99 $23.99 CAD
- ebook $9.99 $12.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around September 5, 2023. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
What Goes on inside a Beaver Pond? takes kids ages 8 to 10 on a journey through a year in the life of a young beaver (called a "kit"). This is an exciting year as the young beaver leaves her family lodge and moves throughout the Yokun Brook waterways, seeking a new home for herself. Throughout the seasons, vibrant illustrations and descriptions reveal the hidden inner-workings of a beaver lodge, how beavers fell trees with their teeth and create a wetland habitat, how they collect food and ward off predators, and what daily life is like within a beaver colony. Educational side panels enhance the story with details about beaver behavior and anatomy, as well as information about what other animal inhabitants of the pond are up to throughout the year. Author Becky Cushing Gop is an environmental educator and director of Mass Audubon’s Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary where the story takes place. Nature illustrator Carrie Shryock’s lively and charming graphics bring the young beaver’s story to life for nature-curious kids.
- “A story that draws readers in."—Booklist
“Plenty to chew on for young nature lovers.”—Kirkus
- “Magic, from the first enchanting illustration onward.”—LEILA PHILIP, Beaverland: How One Weird Rodent Made America
- “This gorgeous picture book will get kids right out into the marsh to watch beavers.”—BERND HEINRICH, winner of the John Burroughs Medal for Nature Writing
- "100% engaging even if you are not interested in beavers, you soon will be!” —Youth Services Book Review
- On Sale
- Sep 5, 2023
- Page Count
- 48 pages