Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $18.99 $23.99 CAD
- ebook $12.99 $16.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around July 14, 2015. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
In Words and Rules, Steven Pinker explores profound mysteries of language by picking a deceptively simple phenomenon — regular and irregular verbs — and examining it from every angle. With humor and verve, he covers an astonishing array of topics in the sciences and humanities, from the history of languages to how to simulate languages on computers to major ideas in the history of Western philosophy.
Through it all, Pinker presents a single, powerful idea: that language comprises a mental dictionary of memorized words and a mental grammar of creative rules. The idea extends beyond language and offers insight into the very nature of the human mind.
This is a sparkling, eye-opening, and utterly original book by one of the world’s leading cognitive scientists.
- "[An excellent work of popular science."—Thomas Nagel, The New Republic
- "the book provides a scholarly, persuasive, enjoyable, and eminently readable account of important language phenomena."—Nature
- "Compelling and revelatory."—Guardian
- "An intellectual joyride."—Globe and Mail
- "Not only does Pinker breathe life into the topic, he makes the reading breathtakingly exciting."—Montreal Gazette
- "A fascinating voyage of discovery."—Sunday Telegraph
- On Sale
- Jul 14, 2015
- Page Count
- 384 pages
- Basic Books