Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The Paintings & Frescoes, 1250-1743
By Ross King
By Anja Grebe
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $75.00 $90.00 CAD
- Trade Paperback $47.99 $60.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around October 20, 2015. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
The city of Florence is home to dozens of museums and palaces that contain many of the world’s most renowned works of art. Florence: The Paintings & Frescoes is a rich and magnificent collection of thousands of paintings and frescoes that are visited by millions of travelers every year including the art of Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Ghirlandaio, Correggio, Botticelli, Caravaggio, Titian, Rembrandt, van Dyck, El Greco, and hundreds more.
Explore the history of art in Florence through seven essays by Ross King, bestselling author of Brunelleschi's Dome and Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling, which connect how the paintings, politics, and every-day lives of Florentines influenced one another. Art historian Anja Grebe, author of The Louvre and The Vatican, also highlights 250 of the most iconic and significant paintings and frescoes in the historic city with details on the attributes of the works, biographical details of the artists, and more.
This spectacular collection of nearly 2,000 paintings and frescoes also includes two removable posters of Florence — one from the Renaissance and one from the present day.
- "...an art lover's dream come true--a collection of nearly 2,000 images that includes every painting and fresco on display in the Uffizi, the Galleria Palatina of the Pitti Palace, the Accademia and the Duomo, and works from 28 additional museums and churches....It's fascinating to see these treasures of the Western world collected in one volume, with page after page of magnificence, including the works of Uccello, da Vinci, Correggio, Titian, Michelangelo and more. You won't have a better tour unless you visit the city itself--and even then, reading this book first would be worthwhile."—BookPage
- "For 800 years Florence, Italy, has been a sacred city whose very walls breathe beauty. In vivid essays and more than 2,000 lush images, this glorious book covers the great collections of the Uffizi, the Pitti Palace, the Accademia and the Duomo, plus key works in 28 of the city's additional museums and churches. The lively text explains Florentine politics, patronage, street life, banking, international trade and the effect of its wars, plagues and religious squabbles. Fascinating."—Star Tribune
- "You needn't travel to Florence to tour the masterpieces created by some of the world's greatest artists. "Florence: The Paintings & Frescoes: 1250 to 1743" by Ross King and Anja Grebe brings more than 2,000 images of them to you, along with a comprehensive guide"—The Sacramento Bee
- The paintings and frescoes of the birthplace of the Renaissance get a lavish, full-color treatment in this new book from Canadian historian and novelist Ross King, whose previous work includes "Brunelleschi's Dome: The Story of the Great Cathedral in Florence."...If you're looking for a gorgeous coffee-table book, this one is hard to beat."—Austin American-Statesman
- "The next best thing to a Tuscan sightseeing trip is a tour through the pages of "Florence: The Paintings & Frescoes, 1250-1743"...which opens the doors of the Uffizi, the Accademia, the Duomo and countless Florentine churches to the armchair traveler."—Newsday
- On Sale
- Oct 20, 2015
- Page Count
- 696 pages
- Black Dog & Leventhal