Illustrated by Koren Shadmi
Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback (Illustrated) $16.99 $22.99 CAD
- ebook $11.99 $15.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around May 9, 2017. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Gygax was the son of immigrants who grew up in Lake Geneva, WI, in the 1950s. An imaginative misfit, he escaped into a virtual world based on science fiction novels, military history and strategic games like chess. In the mid-1970s, he co-created the wildly popular Dungeons & Dragons game. Starting out in the basement of his home, he was soon struggling to keep up with the demand. Gygax was a purist, in the sense that he was adamant that players use their imaginations and that the rules of the game remain flexible. A creative mind with no real knowledge of business, he made some strategic errors and had a falling out with the game’s co-creator, his close friend and partner, David Arneson.
By the late 1970s the game had become so popular among kids that parents started to worry — so much so that a mom’s group was formed to alert parents to the dangers of role play and fantasy. The backlash only fueled the fires of the young fans who continued to play the game, escaping into imaginary worlds. Before long, D&D conventions were set up around the country and the game inspired everything from movies to the first video games. With D&D, Gygax created the kind of role playing fantasy that would fuel the multibillion dollar video game industry, and become a foundation of contemporary geek culture.
- "The remarkable story of one of the most influential games in the world comes to life in this graphic novel. D&D had a huge impact not only on my life, but also how I thought about engaging people and building community."—Alexis Ohanian, cofounder of Reddit
- "The funny, touching, and altogether incredible origin story of one of the most important figures in twentieth-century fantasy. Gary Gygax opened a portal that will never close."—Lev Grossman, author of The Magicians Trilogy
- "Role-playing its way to the truth, shrinking the history of gaming to the tabletop, [this book] is a perfectly unclassifiable tribute to Gary Gygax, D&D, and the countless adventurers they inspired."—Hilary Chute, author of Disaster Drawn
- "Rise of the Dungeon Master, beautifully illustrated by Koren Shadmi, is both a moving portrait of two creative outsiders and a chronicle of how a new kind of storytelling changed pop culture forever."—Ars Technica
- "A fitting tribute to those behind the early pen-and-paper games."—Wired
- "Rise of the Dungeon Master is a charming retelling of an origin story that is now practically a legend."—National Post
- "Although the story of Gygax and D&D's tumultuous beginnings have already become the stuff of legend, Rise of the Dungeon Master recounts that history in a way that's authentic to the spirit of the game beloved by millions of people."—The Columbus Dispatch
- On Sale
- May 9, 2017
- Page Count
- 144 pages
- Bold Type Books