Formats and Prices
- Trade Paperback $21.99 $28.99 CAD
- ebook $1.99 $2.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around May 14, 2013. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
It’s 1962, and Dusty Fairchild, daughter of a self-made millionaire and oilman, wants to go to college. Instead she is sent to a private finishing school in East Texas. Although she’s never wanted for material possessions, Dusty longs for independence and adventure. The only upside to attending Miss Fontaine’s is having her cousin and best childhood friend, Paisley, join her. Paisley has traveled the country with her bohemian mother, but she dreams of putting down roots and living a settled life. At Miss Fontaine’s, their loyalty to each other binds them, but when they fall in love with the same handsome young man, their relationship teeters on shaky ground. Only after a tragic accident do they learn where their true hearts-and dreams-lie.
- "Long before I met Carla Stewart and her work, I had heard others sing her praises. She does not disappoint. SWEET DREAMS is an inspiring novel and one that is heartfelt. Readers are sure to savor every page of this wonderful story."—Michael Morris, author of A Place Called Wiregrass
"Pick up one of Carla Stewart's books and prepare to be enchanted by endearing characters, nostalgic settings, and lyrical prose. Capturing the angst of the '60s in the struggles of two determined women, SWEET DREAMS is another outstanding novel from one of the best!"
—Myra Johnson, award-winning author of Autumn Rains and A Horseman's Heart
- "Stewart writes about powerful and basic emotions with a restraint that suggests depth and authenticity; the relationship between Sammie and her mother Rita, the engine that drives the plot, is beautifully and delicately rendered. Coming-of-age stories are a fiction staple, but well-done ones much rarer. This emotionally acute novel is one of the rare ones."—Publishers Weekly on Chasing Lilacs, starred review
- "From the very first sentence of SWEET DREAMS, I knew I was in good hands with Carla Stewart as a storyteller. The language is lively, and there's a lot in the pages to keep a reader hurrying forward. Carla Stewart writes about friendship, love, family, and what it is to dream. This is a book that takes you back in time, one that makes you laugh, and most of all, one that causes you to consider the importance of family. SWEET DREAMS is a book to be savored and enjoyed. What a funny and touching read!"—William Torgerson, author of Love on the Big Screen and Horseshoe
- "Carla Stewart has a knack for bringing to life the not-so-distant past of the 1950s and '60s. SWEET DREAMS is no exception. Rich in detail and relationship, this story of two cousins seeking their own dreams amidst a tangle of relationships and secrets tugs the heartstrings in every direction. A lovely journey to self-discovery, truth and freedom."—Anne Mateer, author of At Every Turn
- "SWEET DREAMS draws you in to a simpler time with charm and humor. As two cousins dream and fret about the future, they see God's plans unfolding within them. Carla Stewart is masterful at creating characters you care about-and places that seem so real you feel like you've gone for a visit. Her details of Texas oilfields and ranches are so vivid that you can almost tasted the grit in your mouth."—Judy Christie, author of the Green Series and Wreath
- "While the story is heartbreaking, there is much more to this book. The lives of Mitzi and Brooke are told both in present time and with flashbacks, weaving together love, loss, tragedy and friendship. Stewart skillfully entertains and engages the reader with each character's private pain and survival skills."—RT Book Reviews on Broken Wings
- "Carla Stewart is one of the best at slicing out a piece of Americana and serving it to the reader in a delicious story. Stardust is a smooth, inviting, well told story that will stick with you long after you read the last line and close the book. A worthy read."—Rachel Hauck, award winning author of Dining with Joy, on Stardust
- On Sale
- May 14, 2013
- Page Count
- 336 pages