While there is certainly no shortage of things to do at night in either capital, it is this same dizzying array of choices that can leave some travelers overwhelmed. But fear not: Below you’ll find the perfect recipe for a successful night on the town that kicks off with a proper traditional meal before moving on to cocktails, live music, clubbing, and a nightcap or two as the sun begins to rise. Follow one or all these suggestions and prepare yourself for an evening to remember.
Best Traditional Food in Prague & Budapest
- U Pinkasů (Prague): Time-honored Czech restaurant serves up delicious traditional fare and a rare unpasteurized version of Pilsner Urquell—the country’s finest brew.
- Zeller Bistro (Budapest): Pleasant and affordable restaurant offers mouth-watering Hungarian dishes prepared with ingredients grown on the owners’ farm.
Best Cocktails in Prague & Budapest
- Blue Light (Prague): Bustling bar with a hip, cozy vibe serves some of the finest cocktails in Malá Strana.
- 400 (Budapest): Lively bar in the Jewish Quarter features local DJs and a large outdoor terrace packed with late-night revelers.
Best Live Music in Prague & Budapest
- Jazz Dock (Prague): Warm and friendly jazz club offers an excellent range of live acts jamming till the wee hours along Prague’s famed riverbank.
- A38 (Budapest): Unique concert hall located in the bowels of a former Ukrainian stone-carrier ship comes complete with restaurant and thumping outdoor terrace.
Best Club in Prague & Budapest
- Roxy (Prague): Popular with locals and tourists alike, Prague’s most famous club continues to attract world-class bands and DJs on a weekly basis.
- Instant (Budapest): This high-energy club with a house-party feel is filled to capacity on any given night with youngsters looking to groove the night away.
Best After-Hours Bar in Prague & Budapest
- Le Clan (Prague): Laid-back after-hours club attracts partiers of all stripes looking to stave off their inevitable comedown.
- Corvintető (Budapest): Old-school after-hours club throws legendary parties and offers gorgeous panoramic views of Budapest from its enormous rooftop patio.
Excerpted from the Third Edition of Moon Prague & Budapest.